'41 Elgin build - done

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Not going to crazy on this one, probably cleared over bare metal with black scallops in the right spots. Also probably a early start to this thread cause I still need to finish up the Monark build before I realy get on this. But I had to throw it together to see what else I needed.

Picked this up from Skipton on sat.

1202121242.jpg

Got these from Ratina sunday (specificly the skirts).

1202121707.jpg

Threw it together tues with some spare skip tooth rims I have. And got a couple pics this morning.

1205120905.jpg

Already dont like the bars, thinking cut apes? Oh well it will be fun when done, and building as well.

Oh yeah got some Bontrager Hanks on the way for it as well.

Re: '41 Elgin build

List so far of parts needed

6. 1/2'' 8-24 stainless bolts

1pr Pedals

Bars

Fender rivets or more stainless bolts?

Head light

rear light or reflector

Seat

Truss rods and bracket (darn just sold some)

Drop stand and clip.

Lace in 3spd and get skip tooth rear gear?

Looks great thus far....very cool bike. 8)

Thanks for the props guys. The moment I saw the bike listed I knew I had to have it. Props go to Skip for putting the parts together and helping get the skirts back with the bike. Been wanting a bike with skirt gaurds so bad its not funny. Wanted to do one with a springer also, but ya cant beat the fender over fork design, just need to get some truss rods.

So looking at different wheel options. Is 1/4'' to much not to cold set the rear drop outs? I realize it will be a bit of a stretch to get the wheel in but I'd rather leave the frame as is.

Thanks guys, credit goes to Skip for assembling the cool parts ya see here, then selling them to me.

Thanks Skip for the link, looks pretty straight forward as long as ya go easy on it. Unfortunately the Nexus is shot. Rt side bearings were gone, and took the races with em. Bah. I have a Sturmey 3spd. That works but its currently 24" x 1 3/8. Considering options, but I realy want it multi geared. We'll see.

Got my Hanks in today from RRB member Highwheelerboy25, huge thanks to him for the tires and a great price. 8)

1212121806a.jpg

To bad I dont have time to work on the bike tonight. :(

I love the way the curved seat tube elgin's flow, especially with skirt guards.. that's gonna be sick whe you gt those handks on there, kevin.

Charlie

What a super start on your build!!!
The one thing that is missing from my parts stash is a set of skirt guards. I gotta get me some of those!

Thanks. Yeah it HAD to have the skirt guards. Ive wanted to do a bike with em since I first saw a girls Higgens years ago.

Just trying to get parts together. Sending a m.o. this week for some truss rods and brackets. Talkimg with Ratina aboit a wheel set he's gonna put a sturmey 3 spd in, gotta figure out when we can meet up. Gotta say I love havimg someone so helpfull near by.

Also trying to figure out what Im doing for a fender light as well.

Love the black on the frame. Must be powder coat? Very nice Klunker. I'd have to straighten the top tube to get mine powder coated. I have a stud puller for auto body work, but not sure that would pull tubing back out?

And yes its one of the most beautiful frames Ive seen. Quite a bit of hand fabrication had to have gone into the building of one of these. Something that could never be produced by a manufacturer today, only a custom fabricator in my opinion.

So I got my Hanks in this week, and the monark is waiting for parts, so I have been itching to get out there and paint my rims I have on it for now till I figure out what Im doing for a final wheel set. So friday I agree'd to watch a movie with the wife instead of working on it, and instead work on it saturday after I get back from our VW clubs Xmas party. Well I ended up getting sick again (fourth time in like 2 1/2 months!) so instead I spent sat evening in bed, along with most of today. :?

Really Sharp Bike!! 8) Nice job!
With those knobby tires and the right gearing you could ride that in the snow :D
Not sure if you'd want to potentially wreck the frame though, it so nice

Latest posts

Back