40's Schwinn BFGoodrich?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Some of you may have seen my other topic, where I had mentioned this bike. I went back today and got it and he threw in a couple parts that I need.

The Original color is red I believe, based on the paint inside the head tube, and bottom bracket. I also belive that it had some kind of creme color that goes from the head tube, back. But on the fork, there is what looks to be original blue paint on the steer tube. Then it someone painted the rest of the frame blue to match the fork. Then there is once again, another layer of black paint. Then nature took its course and now its mostly surface rust.
Wheels need total rebuilding. and almost all the spokes need to be replaced. So that should be fun.
It has a clamp on kick stand, and not the other kind.
The rear hub is a New Departure Model D
The front hub says "New Departure-W"

-I have no clue at all what it is, other than a Schwinn BFGoodrich, and crusty. Does any one know what model it was?
-I'm not sure what is original, and what is not on this bike.
-I don't know exactly what's missing from this, and what it needs Etc...
-I don't know the year either, or how to decipher the serial number. The serial number is H59250, Does any one have an idea what year -it would be?

Anyways, here's some pictures-
photo3-9.jpg

photo1-9.jpg

photo2-9.jpg

photo3-8.jpg

photo2-8.jpg

photo4-7.jpg

photo1-8.jpg

photo4-6.jpg

chain tension-er screws are not stuck
photo3-7.jpg

a little bit of OG paint
photo4-5.jpg

Clamp on kick stand
photo3-6.jpg

This is the only markings on the seat.
photo2-7.jpg

photo1-7.jpg

one of the caps are gone
photo1-5.jpg

It also came with 2 tires and tubes-
Cordovan(?) tube and tire
photo4-4.jpg

photo3-5.jpg

photo2-5.jpg

photo1-11.jpg

Are these OK to throw away? or does anyone want them for some reason?

The 2nd one is a Schwinn Typhoon Cord tire in better shape. No tears, rips etc., just cracking in some places.
photo2-11.jpg

http://i475.photobucket.com/albums/rr113/ghopher0/photo3-10.jpg[/img
[img]http://i475.photobucket.com/albums/rr113/ghopher0/photo4-9.jpg

And one good Carlisle(?) tube.
photo2-10.jpg

These are the parts He threw in along with the sale-
photo1-6.jpg

photo2-6.jpg

a set of fenders, rear rack, and front basket for the ladies schwinn breeze that can be found in my last "fresh finds" topic.

I think $85 for all this is pretty good. :D

Your bike is a '40 or '41 Schwinn D97X, or just "DX" for short. The seat, neck, guard, crank and chainring have been replaced at some point. You've got an excellent start for a build or restoration project. Gary

Awesome! Thank you guys very much for the response.

I know I have seen the chain guard somewhere else on here, I just can't remember where. Does any one know what kind it is?

Thanks for the information udallcusombikes. I was kinda hoping it was something rare :lol:

Is the sprocket supposed to be a sweet heart sprocket? Also is it sopposed to be skip tooth?

duncan said:
Thanks for the information udallcusombikes. I was kinda hoping it was something rare :lol:

Is the sprocket supposed to be a sweet heart sprocket? Also is it sopposed to be skip tooth?

A '40 Schwinn catalog page showing what your bike used to look like.

1940_12_13.jpg

And '41

1941_cc_004.jpg

Cool bike!

1940_12_13.jpg

Basing off this picture,
-The Forks should be a springer? If not, shouldent there be Truss rods?

-There should be a torpedo light? There are no holes in the front fender on mine, so maby the fenders are wrong.

-The rear fender has 1 fender support/ leg (what ever it is called), and mine has 2, and comes down farther in the rear like this one
1941_cc_004.jpg

So maby the rear fender is incorrect too?

-There are no tabs for a tank on my bike. are there sopposed to be? Or does the tank clamp on some other way?

Thank you for all the information.

Not all DX models had lights. My '39 didn't come with a light for example. Some didn't even come with chainguards so don't beat yourself up about missing parts that were never there in the first place. The nice thing about a DX is that you can build it up as much or as little as you like. I think I have a few parts that would be correct for your bike if you're interested. I'm pretty sure I have a chain guard, I know I have a seat, stem and sprocket. Let me know if you need anything!

duncan said:
Haha, thanks, but I think its a bit beyond patina. :lol:

This is Rat Rod Bikes, as long as it doesn't turn to dust when you ride it is still patina. It's just heavy patina. I've got a heavy patina bike too. Not quite as bad but it's beautiful as it is.

PA270187.jpg

PA270189.jpg

PA270192.jpg

Ohdeebee- Thanks for the information. I would surely be interested in looking at what you have to offer.

Outskirtscustoms- That's a really neat bike. I'm most likely going to keep the patina on mine, and clean up what I can on it. I love the look of it right now, and I'm going to keep the finish on it the way it is.

I have a question- Since this is a 40/41, would it be skip tooth? To my knowledge, only prewar bikes had a skip tooth set up, and my bike is only a year or 2 into the war. witch leads me to believe it could have been. The rear hub is a New Departure model D, but it isn't skip tooth.

Schwinn had skip tooth bikes in its catalog until the early 50s. They had standard 1/2" chain on some of their top shelf bikes as early as the mid 30s I believe. Just have to look close at the catalog pics and try to decipher what is there.

All prewar DX's had sweetheart rings and skip tooth chains. I've never seen an original that didn't. A plain DX like yours would be a D97X-0 or D97X-1. The "0" would be for 1940, the "1" for 1941. If it had all the stuff, tank, rack, and light, it would be a D97XE-1. The "E" for equiped, the "1" for '41. The red and cream DX in the pic is a D97XE-0S, or, a DX that is equiped from 1940 with a springer. The green DX was a 1941 one year only DX "special". That is the only green DX they made, prewar or postwar. It also came in green and brown instead of green and cream. I love my DX! Gary

Latest posts

Back