40-41 Schwinn D97X Build. :Now In Working Order:

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
No sence in blowing up the Fresh Finds forum with my updates, so ill post my progress here.

I got this bike last weekend from a very cool guy that lives in my area. I got alot of help figuring out what model, year, What parts were OG, and not OG from some guys here. Special thanks to B607, UdallCustomBikes, Ohdeebee, for helping me. You guys are awesome!
The Original color is red I believe, based on the paint inside the head tube, and bottom bracket. I also belive that it had some kind of creme color that goes from the head tube, back. But on the fork, there is what looks to be original blue paint on the steer tube. Then it someone painted the rest of the frame blue to match the fork. Then someone painted the whole thing black. Then nature took its course and now its mostly surface rust.
Wheels need total rebuilding, and all the spokes need to be replaced.
Chain guard is Wald Aftermarket one.
It has a clamp on kick stand, and not the other kind.
The rear hub is a New Departure Model D
The front hub says "New Departure-W"
I don't think the rims are OG, since I can't find any markings.
Stem, seat, chain ring aren't OG.... Etc...

photo3-9.jpg

photo1-9.jpg

photo2-9.jpg

photo3-8.jpg

photo2-8.jpg

photo4-7.jpg

photo1-8.jpg

photo4-6.jpg

chain tension-er screws are nice and loose
photo3-7.jpg

a little bit of OG paint
photo4-5.jpg

Clamp on kick stand
photo3-6.jpg

This is the only markings on the seat.
photo2-7.jpg

photo1-7.jpg

one of the caps are gone
photo1-5.jpg

It also came with 2 tires and tubes-
Cordovan(?) tube and tire
photo4-4.jpg

photo3-5.jpg

photo2-5.jpg

photo1-11.jpg

Are these OK to throw away? or does anyone want them for some reason? If someone wants them, You can have them.

The 2nd one is a Schwinn Typhoon Cord tire in better shape. No tears, rips etc., just cracking in some places.
photo2-11.jpg

http://i475.photobucket.com/albums/rr113/ghopher0/photo3-10.jpg[/img
[img]http://i475.photobucket.com/albums/rr113/ghopher0/photo4-9.jpg

And one good Carlisle(?) tube.
photo2-10.jpg

Started to take it apart and clean everything-
429-1.jpg

This thing is pretty nasty
430-1.jpg

BB Bearings- Before and after
433-1.jpg

The seat say supports, and chain stay supports are a bit messed up
Is that normal?

Seat stay
437-1.jpg

438-1.jpg

Chain stay
439-1.jpg

That's all for now. Stay tuned for more!

Re: 40's Schwinn D97X Build.

That looks like alot of fun you got there I actually really like it when there in pretty rough shape to begin with I'm for sure going to watch this build progress cheers

Yea, I'm going to keep the patina on it the way it is. It gives it character.

I don't know exactly what i'm doing with this one, but for right now, i'm focused on getting it running. I have a couple ideas swirling around.
Something to deal with White tires :D

Took the cranks out the other day. This thing is covered in grease.

442-1.jpg

Should the date be stamped on these?
445-1.jpg

449-1.jpg

450-1.jpg

Also didn't know this thing came out.
451-1.jpg

452.jpg

Guessing that's normal.

And as it sits now.-
461.jpg

I should be pulling the fork soon whenever I have some free time.
I also sold my Ross mountain bike, so it should help a bit in getting some parts!
I have never messed with old Schwinn bikes before, so it's a learning experience for sure. But so far, everything's good, and i'm enjoying it a lot.

cool bike, like that you are going to leave it as is!

Thanks, I like the Patina look

As you can see from the pictures, there has been an excessive amount of WD40 sprayed on by the PO. It does not seem like it is going away at all, and doesn't look right.
Has anyone else experienced this before, and have any advice on how to get it off? I tried to wipe a small spot down with a damp rag, and it did nothing. Maybe just go out in the back yard and spray it down with the hose and some soap?

Spray the rest with yet mor WD40. It will fade off eventually.
Great bike.
Id' just leave it like it is.
You can replace that bearing 9 ball cage with 11 steel balls. It's much more reliable, since many of those cages do not last long (chinese stuff..). Place them with grease.
Keep it up

Thanks guys for the advice. I haven't been able to try them out yet, but hopefully i will this weekend or so.

Not much has been going on building wise (thanks to school work :roll: ), but I have been doing a little research.

Apparently, there was a 1940 D97XE-OS, 1941 D97XE-1, D97XE-6 (Equipped, and Non-equipped)

Here's the 40-
1940_12_13.jpg

And this is the 41-

1941_cc_004.jpg

Specs-
1946_09.jpg

Color print-
1941_cc_008_009.jpg

Witch leads me to belive, If the fenders are OG on mine, and Schwinn came out with the "Un-equipped" DX in 41 and not 40, Then I would have either a D97X-1, or D97X unequipped.

Today was a pretty productive day. First, I took the forks off, and apparently they were red originally, and some one painted some blue.

050.jpg

Then I cleaned the whole thing with dish soap and water. (Thanks jalopyjimmy13, and stocksucks For the advice!) Now it's clean :mrgreen:

030.jpg

031.jpg

035.jpg

I have also taken out pretty much all the bearing cups, and every nut and bolt that are chrome, and I am going to polish them up on the wire wheel tomorrow.

033.jpg

Pretty nice OG paint.

I also attempted to take the seat apart. There are 2 bolts in the back, but i have no clue to do with the front. Any suggestions?

037.jpg

037.jpg

039.jpg

041.jpg

036.jpg

I had also tore into both Hubs and cleaned them. They are kinda different that a earlier coaster hub, and a bit more complex.
Front:
051.jpg

052.jpg

056.jpg

Never seen bearings like this before.
053.jpg

Rear:
059.jpg

063.jpg

062.jpg

065.jpg

067.jpg

072.jpg

Also, Their is a circular plate on the cog, that is holding the small bearing in. I cant get the small bearing's out at all. Any one know how to get them out?
071.jpg

068.jpg

Re: 40-41 Schwinn D97X Build.

A few days ago, I cleaned some parts up on the wire wheel:

020-1.jpg

021-1.jpg

022.jpg

023-1.jpg

026.jpg

028.jpg

034.jpg

035-1.jpg

And I had figured how to get the bearings out. The plate holding them in just popped right out.
032.jpg

I have also ordered some tires as well for this, so hopefully they will be here soon.

Also, the spokes are 10 3/4'' long when i measured them, so if I don't have any laying around, I will have to order some.

here are the paint details on my BFG badged bike...

DSC01735.jpg

i don't think that's a prewar fork...

DSC01733.jpg

the folded over looking stay bridges are indeed normal (!). love the look of that coaster brake arm!! 8)

Thank you for those pictures Bendix, those help a lot!
Do you have any more pictures of that fork? What's the difference between a prewar fork and a postwar fork?

duncan said:
Thank you for those pictures Bendix, those help a lot!
Do you have any more pictures of that fork? What's the difference between a prewar fork and a postwar fork?

i'll take some, obviously i took that one for the paint detail... :wink:

if i understand correctly the prewar ones (with and w/out the brace) have a brazed crown/leg assembly. the later froks are the one piece 'ashtabula' type where the crown and legs are one big, bent piece of metal with just the steerer tube brazed on.

somebody correct me if i'm confused about that...

ha! too late- i'll correct myself!

i guess the prewar forks w/out the built in truss rod guides were indeed similar in construction to the postwar ones

IMG_0826.jpg

IMG_0822.jpg

the profile is a little different viewed from the top though...

IMG_0824.jpg

the earlier braced forks had the brazed construction...the two were sort of merged in my memory... :wink:

IMG_0829.jpg

IMG_0828JPG2.jpg

Thank you very much for the infomation and the pictures.
So yeah, that would make my forks post-war:
010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

Now I know what to look for though! Thanks again.

Progress on rebuilding the wheels:
Old spokes V.S. New spokes
007.jpg

010-1.jpg

020.jpg

022-1.jpg

I wonder if a bath in vinegar will clean them up a bit?
023.jpg

025-1.jpg

028-1.jpg

The spokes are being a pain. Most of the nipples are stuck to the spokes, and they kept breaking. So I figured if they are all trashed, why try to save them? So I cut most if the spokes in the middle, trashed the side with out the nipples, and I will be soaking the ends with the nipples in PB-Blaster in order to save the nipples hopefully soon.

Next on the list is to clean up the hubs as good as possible, and re-lace the rims with the new spokes.
Progress has been slow because of this :
014.jpg

Latest posts

Back