4-Lowco: Air Ride, 4-link, 3-spd

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 4-Lowco: A newbie's first build

guess it's time to get rid of it and build the c10.

Outlaw 8)

Well, my wife-mandated budget for this is $0 (or as close as possible). I've been thinking ahead and worrying about my 3-spd hub plans, with no idea how I was going to come up with the $60-70 for a vintage sturmey/archer or new shimano nexus.

Tonight, while walking my daughter around the neighborhood, I passed an old AMF roadmaster with a "free bike" sign on it. After a quick inspection, I saw it had a 3spd Sturmey/Archer and quickly snagged it. A quick ride proved that all was in working order, and a good cleaning and lubing should be all it needs.

I'm still in disbelief that exactly what I was looking for was found for free, 3 houses down from mine. That makes this build closer to becoming a reality.

The AMF Roadmaster, with Sturmey/Archer 3spd, and the cheapo walmart mountain bike I've been harvesting parts from:

DutchFork-20111211-00198.jpg

that is short. but with your seat back and the long front end I can see a better pic of it in my mind. oh did I say that, my mind is old an I can't remember a thing.lol. ok, get er done will ya. we want to see it finnished.lol.

Outlaw 8)

I'm working on it now haha.... Scored a swingset at the dump today that I harvested almost 20 feet of 1.5" tube from. I've been using 16 gauge, and this is a little thinner, but should still be plenty strong. It's going to be a heavy bike, so a little weight savings isn't going to hurt. Free tube helps keep the budget wife-friendly also.

As far as the dimensions, I don't know much at all about bikes. I just looked around and got an idea of what I wanted, then sketched it up in CAD. I'll probably end up with an unridable monstrosity, but at least I'll have fun building it.

well I am thinkin, there I go again, that now seeing what ya have done so far, this will be a great rider. it's lookin good so far. yeah, I know what ya mean about buget minded wife. I got one of them too. just have to do the best we can.lol.
what are you welding with.

Outlaw 8)

Any ideas on how to seal the inside of the frame? Planning on using the frame itself as my air tank for the air ride, and I don't want moisture rusting it from the inside out.

My plan is to pour an entire quart of por-15 or some other sealing paint into it, then slosh it around for a bit to ensure coverage. I thought about fuel tank sealants for motorcycle tanks also. Any other ideas??

I think por 15 will work but have never tried that with air inside. I am sure someone on here will know.

Outlaw 8)

that looks even better then the cad. yep ya got it goin. super tight.

Outlaw 8)

Indychus said:
I'm really worried about the riding position after sitting on it.... my legs are going to be almost straight out in front of me...
Looks good! I agree with Jalopyjimmy13, Put the bottom bracket to the inside of your down tube. If that's still not close enough, you can always add an extension with some tubing. You wont notice it once you get your crank and sprocket put on .

Got the frame mostly done. Still have to add the BB for the pedals. I had to space the rear BB back some to center it between the link mount points to assure it will work without a chain tensioner.

Here's a quick mock up with some 26" wheels. I was planning on running 20's, but I think I like the look of the 26's better.

DutchFork-20111213-00201.jpg

that is a nice stance. got anything more done.

Outlaw 8)

Not really, waiting on the machine shop to run my triple trees on the cnc. I harvested some parts from the roadmaster and bead blasted them, but no pics of them yet. Once I get my triple trees I'll go ahead and set up the front end. Hopefully I'll have the forks on next week sometime.

Latest posts

Back