4/22/12 Midwest Bicycle swapmeet

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ratfink1962 said:
MazdaFlyer said:
aka_locojoe said:
Here's a video of just some of the swap. There was more than what I got on video http://youtu.be/dUrkZei9w4Y
Watched the neat video a couple of times, and then one sequence in stop motion. Think I had a guy shop lift me. He picked something up off the table and stuck it in his pocket. Did manage to sell a couple of bikes and various parts through out the day.

Ed... nice catch! and from the video it looks like he did rip you off. Any idea what was taken?

Amazing that Randy was taking video and caught it, too bad it didnt show a face though. People like that need to remember... what goes around comes around.

Both Randy and I wanted that orange/blue bike you were selling.... it was very nice.
I've run it back and forth several times even zoomed in on his hand. I had a bunch of pedals on that end of the table, but can't remember what else might have been there easy to pocket. I'll have to go through my parts box. I was reluctant to put out my one of a kind brass carbide lamp, but it was eventually purchased. Still have the SE single speed. Going to the Peddler's Swap Meet in Independence this weekend.

Sure wish that vid had a face on it! Busted! I guess we need to watch for that. I left my stuff many times & could have been ripped off also, but am not missing anything. I guess I don't have anything anyone really wanted.

I'll be out at paddlers swap is there anything special anyone is looking to find? I have a bunch of stuff around here that I don't thing I'll have room to take so LMK if you are looking for a special project, I have older road bikes and lots of differant parts.

MazdaFlyer said:
aka_locojoe said:
Here's a video of just some of the swap. There was more than what I got on video http://youtu.be/dUrkZei9w4Y
Watched the neat video a couple of times, and then one sequence in stop motion. Think I had a guy shop lift me. He picked something up off the table and stuck it in his pocket. Did manage to sell a couple of bikes and various parts through out the day.
I never even noticed that. I've pulled up the original in my editing software. Been watching it over an over in stop motion too. I don't know. It sure appears that's what's happening yet his hand is never fully open only his middle finger when he touches the part or whatever. Of course he may have already grabbed something before the camera caught him and he was touching table a second time with item in hand. His hand enters his pocket with only two fingers closed. If he did take something it had to be really small.

Here's a still after the part has been touched before hand enters pocket. It does look like there might be something white (paper?) in his hand. Or is what I'm seeing between his fingers the same thing I'm seeing between the other guys legs?

Swapsnapshot1.jpg

Just thinking... could he possibly already have been holding something when he touched the part.... like a Kleenex?
That would explain why a couple fingers remained curled when he touched the part and why it looks like something's being put in pocket.

Don't get me wrong... if it is theft it upsets me as much as the rest of you. But I hate to condemn the guy without more proof. Not that it matters I guess since we don't know who it is. I'd just hate to think this would happen amongst like minded people.

I myself watched it over and over and it doesnt look like he took anything... I think he had set something down ... Then put his hand back in his pocket... I know there are these types out there.... I refuse to believe they come around my relaxing hobby... :D Lets all stay positive and give him the benefit of the doubt... 8)

Some of my tags were white. Went through my small parts bin. We had written down what we sold and selling price. I didn't write down an inventory of parts pre-swap and the bin has been filling up for several years. If something did walk it didn't have much value, ready to move on. Video is an interesting tool to say the least. Great swap meet regardless.

Back