'38 Ford Pickup

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
outskirtscustoms said:
Or why go 289 when you could go 351
http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/ptd/2926778058.html

Or 360
http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/pts/2941045952.html

Or better still 460! Can you say smokey burnout? More power Ar Ar Ar.... :mrgreen:
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/pts/2945293462.html

Or if you wanted to kick it oldschool and spend your life savings on the rest of the parts (And the rest of your life locating them)
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/pts/2956939919.html

My neighbor across the street has a 289 and C4 that he keeps trying to sell to me, I can get it for a good deal but I need to scrape some $ together. I'm just a broke high school kid trying to build a hot rod for cheap. Picked up a pair of goodyear's for the front and some 15" steelies today.

IMG_20120413_204923.jpg

ok, those are "innies". probably 5.5 inches wide. see how the hubcap mounting tabs are on the inside of the wheel? i call those "innies". the cap snaps inside of the wheel instead of over it. that is what i have on the front of my 61. the wider (8") wheels are harder to find, but show up on cl every once in a while. i don't think they are factory, but in the old days lots of folks had stock wheels widened for bigger tires and that is what i found for my 61.
i love your project so far man, and keep it up!

bicycleguy said:
I'm just a broke high school kid trying to build a hot rod for cheap.

You're on the right site. I'm broke too. If I was building one I'd go for a straight 6 or a 4 cyl Ranger motor with a 4 speed to maximize mileage. Then drive the wheels off of it. With my budget right now I'd probably be trying to put a Briggs and Stratton on it. :lol:

Lookin' good! 8) I just finished up the 32 Ford the other day :wink:
003-4.jpg

Too bad it's only 1:64 scale :lol:

outskirtscustoms said:
bicycleguy said:
I'm just a broke *** high school kid trying to build a hot rod for cheap.

You're on the right site. I'm broke too. If I was building one I'd go for a straight 6 or a 4 cyl Ranger motor with a 4 speed to maximize mileage. Then drive the wheels off of it. With my budget right now I'd probably be trying to put a Briggs and Stratton on it. :lol:

Being broke sucks but it also makes you more creative and I think you learn to do way more because you can't go out and buy every part that will work perfect together, you have to make it work. Started working on the frame today, That '32 looks sweet

IMG_20120414_131724.jpg

Too cool. I know all about getting creative due to lack of funds. Most of my builds have been built for next to nothing. I love finding new ways to use old junk.

Welded the right frame rail together, took all night because I would get everything setup and ready to weld then it would start to rain for an hour then it would clear up long enough for me to lay a few beads ... Still have a bunch of gussets to add before it's done. 9 1/2" Z in the rear and 2" in the front.

IMG_20120417_201025.jpg

IMG_20120417_201038.jpg

:shock: :shock: :shock:
You´re tha man!!! I´m in love with this, keep it up and DONT TOUCH THAT PATINA! :wink:

bicycleguy said:
IMG_20120422_161630.jpg

Also traded my tallbike for a running 460 and C6 transmission.

100_7064.jpg

Now you're talking. Might want to reinforce the frame a bit more. Wouldn't want that motor to turn it into a pretzel. :lol:

I have 2 more crossmembers and a bunch more gussets I need to put in but I need the get the motor and tranny figured out first so I know where to put them. I'm a big fan of overbuilding things "when in doubt, build hella stout".

Kinda strange to turn the c channel out instead of the traditional in way. Is it galvanized?
You have a bunch of builds on your plate with the Buick , the station wagon' and now this truck. :shock:

Uncle Stretch said:
Kinda strange to turn the c channel out instead of the traditional in way. Is it galvanized?
You have a bunch of builds on your plate with the Buick , the station wagon' and now this truck. :shock:
We should all be so lucky :mrgreen:

Uncle Stretch said:

I turned it that way because it's easier to weld in crossmembers and there is more surface are the weld on, when it all said and done the only part of the frame that you'll see is from the firewall forward and yes, it is galvanized. I traded the station wagon for the Buick which is now my daily driver so this truck is my only real project at the moment.

I figured that was the reason to turn them that way. Was thinking man your having to
spend some serious time if you had three projects going at once. :lol:

Latest posts

Back