333 shifter question/problem

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one of those 333 shifters on a Nexus 3 speed. It shifts forward good,
but when you pull it back its like its out of adjustment. I have messed with
the adjustment trying a little closer to the line and then right in the middle
but it doesn't seem to stop it. I know a Nexus shifter runs that housing that has
all the straight metal things and a 333 has the coil housing. My question is does
anybody think the nexus housing will stop the problem, or is the cable different
and that is the problem?

All index shifting use shift cable housing. Any bike shop should be able to get what you need.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

I have both kinds, but I don't have a nexus inner wire with that big end that fits
a 333 shifter. I'm wondering if I just change to the Nexus housing if it will solve the
problem ,or does it have to have that special inner wire Nexus uses. I read somewhere
that a nexus has that type because they don't work with the coiled kind because its not ridged
enough.

Compressionless "Index-compatible" Housing
With the advent of indexed shifting combined with handlebar mounted shift levers, it developed that conventional housing was a source of imprecise shifting. This is because the effective length of the housing changes as it is bent. This is not a problem with brakes: Although sometimes it will be noted that rear brakes may drag slightly when the handlebars are turned all the way to one side, you can't turn the bars that far when the bike is actually in motion.
The small variation in housing length was too much for reliable indexed shifting, however, so Shimano introduced "S.I.S." housing, now widely copied by other manufacturers. This type of housing does not consist of a single spiral-wound wire, but instead, it has a bundle of wires running pretty much straight along parallel to the housing. They are held in place by being sandwiched between the plastic housing liner and the plastic outer covering.

Latest posts

Back