BO15 32" Motorbike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How to make the chain guard? For my first scratch-built guard, I decided to keep it flat and simple. I carefully cut out the picture of the chain guard on my scaled template, and transferred that to steel. I then made a strip to be on the top. BUT! Rather than weld them together on the front side, I make the call to weld them on the back side, thus giving me more meat when I used my grinder to shape a curve between the two sides. I think it came out great, actually.
View attachment 121421
View attachment 121423
View attachment 121422
View attachment 121424
View attachment 121425
View attachment 121426

Next will be attaching it to the bike.
:thumbsup:

Crazy cool, nice work! Those pedals are looking mighty small, though. Fabbing scale pedals would be a real trick.

furyus
Those Pedalite pedals I mocked up in my class one build might fit the scale of this build. THOSE THINGS ARE MASSIVE!!!

Those Pedalite pedals I mocked up in my class one build might fit the scale of this build. THOSE THINGS ARE MASSIVE!!!
I messaged him, and asked if the lights in the pedals were functional. He got back to me today that they are not. That's a lot of money to hope I could chase down the problem. I'd pay maybe half that price non-functional.

I stole two tabs from crappy newer Huffy type chain guards, and welded them on my guard. I chose to weld them facing inward, knowing that it would be a lot more difficult to put them on, but also thinking that it would look a lot cleaner than to see the tabs facing out.
IMG_9917.JPG

IMG_9918.JPG

I then put it on the bike.
IMG_9919.JPG

IMG_9920.JPG

IMG_9921.JPG

IMG_9922.JPG

IMG_9923.JPG

This actually solved an issue I had, in that I was feeling like the tank was making this build feel very forward heavy. This helped a lot, and I think that with a rack and other things, it should really balance out well.

Very nice work. This is a keeper. Keeping it raw?

furyus

Very nice work. This is a keeper. Keeping it raw?
Yes. The plan is to add more brass touches, because I think brass goes well with bare steel, then some pinstriping, maybe gold and white? Then seal it all with a clear coat or boiled linseed oil.

You’re making this all look incredibly easy. I am certain its not. Great work thus far.

furyus

Last edited:
You have a history of finding (and using) the coolest car trim parts.

Even though it was going to be a ton of work, I decided that I needed to put some kind of holes or other pattern into the rack, to sell the look of a manufactured thing, and not just a plank of steel. So, knowing that many hours were ahead of me, I started burning. I had to use my cutting torch, which warped the heck out of it, but I'll work on beating it back into shape after. I then tacked in 1/2" sections of 2" tubing to help with the shape.
IMG_9987.JPG

IMG_9988.JPG

Three days in the shop and many hours produced a rack that I'm pretty happy with. In the end, I think the holes really help sell it as a proper bike rack.
IMG_9991.JPG

IMG_9992.JPG

IMG_9993.JPG

IMG_9994.JPG

IMG_9995.JPG

IMG_9996.JPG

IMG_9997.JPG

Truss rods, fenders, and the drop stand are still the major pieces, then there'll be several small details, I guess. That might near be it. This is coming along faster and better than I expected.

Deven the Science guy, your rack fits perfectly with the rest of the build! It has your 'signature' on it and def looks like it 'belongs' to that bike. Your work was not in vain.

I can't wait to see the ride video for this one! I keep forgetting about the large scale, without anything in the photo but a block wall.

ScRaTch oN~!

Latest posts

Back