1. Photobucket recently update their Terms of Use and are now requiring a $399/year membership fee in order to share the photos that you host with them on other websites. If you use Photobucket to host your photos and are using a FREE account, none of your photos will show up on other websites. Please upload your photos directly to the forum here and no longer use Photobucket. Click here to follow the discussion topic...
    Dismiss Notice

3 Spd Lever Assembly.

Discussion in 'HOW TO' started by wheelhorseman, Mar 25, 2012.

1. wheelhorseman

wheelhorseman

I bought a nice older Huffy ladies bike with the 3 speed. It has a black plastic cover at the lever with one screw. Anyway the plastic cover was busted and the cable wouldnt stay still, Took the screw out and everything fell apart before i could see how it was assembled.

Can someone tell me how or show me where the parts go? Not much to it other than a tiny ball a piece of plastic and the base and lever but i cant figure it out.

I assume its a Shimano but dont know how to tell what model. This looks like all 3 speeds i have ever seen.

2. Jpromo

Jpromo

I've never had luck with that shifter, they're poorly designed. There's a little plastic barrel that's supposed to hold you in gear. I'll dig mine out and pull it apart.

3. wheelhorseman

wheelhorseman

Thanks but i got it figured out after dropping that detent ball 100 times. I agree thats a poor design.

4. deorman

deorman

It's pretty cheap, but simple and relatively weather resistant and trouble free. Not securing the detent ball within the lever is definitely a poor design feature. :roll: :|