2nd rat bike project - this is yous guys fault

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
no sooner did I finish my first rat, and I started in on a second. I blame all of you on this site for this newly acquired addiction :)

I'm told it's a 1938 Roadmaster:

2830657169_af0c9d098a_o.jpg

it came with these fenders:

2831496046_b52203f944_o.jpg

i selectively wire wheeled some of the rust off the chainguard. I like the look now:

2830662405_603833b9fb_o.jpg

correct size spokes? we don't need no stinkin correct size spokes...

2830662557_65f0f2b604_o.jpg

i only have two sets of bars in my parts bin to choose from. these:

2830662741_693af7079e_o.jpg

...or these:

2830662913_389f3eb365_o.jpg

the plan is to use the fenders. The first bike is fenderless, so I want a bike with fenders now. And to run black wall tires. Then maybe throw a few period accessories at it. And ride it ;-)

i like the ape hangers. with drop bars i dont like the look of straight across bars but thats just me. looks like you got a real good start there.

well I can't use the ape hangers now (they were bmx bars with the support bar cut out) because I cut them up to make this seat post:

2864798775_10ecc929cc_o.jpg

so for now I'll run the straights because it's all I have in stock. I'll know what bars I want when I see them I suppose.

Hoping to finish the assembly next week. I'm picking up tires from Joe (yeshoney) this Sunday. Maybe he's got a set of pedals he'll sell me too. The ones on the bike now are plastic, again, because that's all I have in stock.

later

the rims are way too rusty to paint, and they are soaked with penetrant now because i had to get the brass nipples free to true the wheels. honestly, these wheels are really beat, and will only get me down the road until i can afford better ones. like everything i do, i'm trying to do this on the cheap as possible. i'm going with black walls - not a fan of whites or colored tires - which is good since I can't afford them. maybe i could hand paint a stripe on the rusty wheels? I've been wanting to try that.

bought some nice old German pedals at a not-so-local bike shop last night. rotated the rear fender and mounted one old leather bag swedish style. i'd like to add a piece of another fender to complete the tire coverage and maybe paint that piece white.

2870691782_00ccf1e49c_o.jpg

banana seat Brian said:
O O and white rims....nice
heya doin matey?
i agree with brian here :)
not sure if u got it in the states(altho i em sure u would) but there is a paint u can get named 'aspen' ... it has a snow looking efect to it when dry, and is great for covering sandblasted rims if they dont come up quite rite.
this is a shot of an older pair ov mine, the only delemer is keeping them clean(if thats a prob)
DSC00755.jpg

DSC02315.jpg

hope this helps buddy

oh look at that. that's exactly what these rims would look like if i painted them. that's how pitted they are. neat.

I've taken it as far as I can for now - I'm out of parts. After a test ride, for which it rode quite nice, not to rickety, I need a smaller chain ring, like a 45 tooth or something close, and a longer stem. Also need to come up with a more elegant rear mounting of the chain guard. Might change the bars too, not sure. I like these so far. I pin striped the rusty wheels with a paint marker. The Goodyear tires are great Joe - thank you very much.

2882738078_d59c00caf3_o.jpg

2882738264_eba94beab1_o.jpg

2881903283_a3e1d9d9d4_o.jpg

One Word! SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!

You gotta get a fender extender to complete the wraparound look.

I had 4 sets of the same bars - you forgot to ask!

Joe

oh ya, a fender extender is in the works. i think it's going to be white. i'll try to paint it crappy so it blends with the rusty-ness of the rest of the bike.

Re: 2nd rat bike project - this is yous guys fault ** new bars

picked these up yesterday at a lbs.

2907832986_418f471df3_o.jpg

put a Redline 44 tooth chain ring on - better. could still use a 39 or 40 maybe. tough bike to peddle. and still need to add a piece of fender and then i think it will be done. i think.

2906988505_303b05ee4b_o.jpg

Latest posts

Back