26" wheel in a 24" Schwinn frame?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody ever stuff a 26x1.75 rim with a 2.0" tire into a 24" 50's Schwinn balloon tire frame?

There usually seems like so much room in the rear triangle when you don't use a fender so I though it might be cool to use the smaller frame in a coaster brake klunker style build. I would probably have to deflate the tire to get it in to the drops but if could nail the chain tension to be right when the wheel was pushed back it could work, and the slightly longer 26" fork would slack out the head angle a bit. It might make a great rider.

Ideas?

Thanks-
G

The last one I did, I extended the rear drop outs back an inch or so, and a 26 inch fork.
The before, it dosen't show the drop outs, but I did change the seat post to a larger one.

Brianas_Bike01b.jpg

S7303175.jpg

Measure your stays; do the math....how much space between each set of stays at about 285 to 330mm from the axle? you'll need 2", for the tire, and another 1/2" "wiggle room"... Also, make sure you have about 2 1/4" from the 280mm point to each bridge.... for vertical clearance reasons.

You prolly have the space, I guess, but... measuring is better than guessing

If I had stays I'd just put a wheel in and see if it fits. I don't have a 24" frame, thus the question.
Thanks though.
G

Copy and paste from OP.
I though it might be cool to use the smaller frame in a coaster brake klunker style build. The slightly longer 26" fork would slack out the head angle a bit. It might make a great rider.

And they usually sell for low dollar.
Scott

If you cut the stand mount and move it forward(or just get rid of it)and cut the rear fender hold bar,widen the rear end a little and re-weld the bar in at a higher point...This works, as I have done it...And 26' forks you will have a winner.

Copy and paste from OP.
I though it might be cool to use the smaller frame in a coaster brake klunker style build. The slightly longer 26" fork would slack out the head angle a bit. It might make a great rider.

And they usually sell for low dollar.
Scott

26"s sell for cheap, too. And a Klunker without mud clearance makes for a poor klunker, imo. As for a slacker head angle, well, there's a number of ways to do that on a 26", too-- if that's what ya really want.

You might need to cut out the rear fender stay ( bracket ) I've seen it done that way

Latest posts

Back