• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to RatRodBikes and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

26" CroMo 1" Klunker/Cruiser Forks

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
26" Landing Gear currently runs $100 to $120 (with shipping) on ebay. GBP (Atomic Cycles) has the 'Red Menace' forks on ebay at $105 shipped, but they are made for 22.2mm stems, 21.1mm stems will need a spacer.

Unless you get very lucky, vintage 26" chromoly forks will be much more $$$.

Oof, that 1" requirement is going to make things tricky. In my experience, this is the best way to find 26" chromo forks
s-l400.jpg

Problem is, most of the old Mountain bikes are 1 1/8"

24" Tange will fit a ~2.125" 26er, but you will be lowering your front end by a bit...and still no cheaper than the ones mentioned above.

You can check with the revived retro BMX companies (Hutch, Elf, Bassett, etc), or custom shops (S&M shop, True Torch, Standard, etc)...but, in all those cases you will probably be around $150-200 (and closer to $200 more times than not). There wasn't a ton of 26" cruisers made bitd, so forks without a frame are pretty scarce...and therefore spendy. If you find a set of vintage forks advertised as chromoly for cheap, don't believe it until you see some indication of chromoly on the steer tube. Spelled out or 'CM', or sometimes just a 'C'...but, any 'HT' or 'H' or 'STEEL', it isn't chromoly.

+1 on the Bassett recommendation. They've been making quality BMX frames for decades. However, I don't see any forks listed for sale on the site. They make them for their frames, so they must be available... While you are there, check out their gorgeous Star Cruiser. Been on my wish list for a while

Do you mind a unicrown fork , cantilever mounts and fender eyelets? Steerer is 8" long. The one I have is chromed, stamped CR-MO on the steerer. If memory serves me correctly this was a replacement fork found on a mid 1980's lugged Trek City bike. $50.00 plus actual shipping. I am in San Francisco.

However, I don't see any forks listed for sale on the site. They make them for their frames, so they must be available...
I've seen them listed there before separately, but rarely. I believe the reason being that there isn't much money in forks. When I bought my 26" Champion 'continuation' frame, my plan was to have them throw in an extra set of forks on the cheap.

He quoted a price of $195 for the forks, and wouldn't budge on the price. Said that that was 'at cost', and he would be more willing to cut a deal on a frame only as that was where the profit margin was.

My assumption would be, that when they sell just forks at Bassett, it is probably because someone bought a frame only :grin:. I'm sure they would custom make a set of forks if requested...but, probably near $200.

Latest posts

Back