26" Beach Cruiser Strandie Build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_3215.jpg
What are all the b&w pads for? Planning for a mishap? Looks like a competition "empty pool" bmx bike and not a 26" strandie.
Crash Pads: not necessary.
I 100% agree with you - But remember, I'm building this for my best friend, who is my customer, although he gave me full creative control, I listened to everything he liked and wanted. My builds are typically simple, or traditional. As an example, he rode a cruiser with BMX cruiser bars, he liked the way it felt with not much pull back, that told me what he wanted in bars, he also liked having a freewheel, he also saw a set of blue and white checkered pads in my box of pads, granted, I wouldn't run them on my cruiser, but all this combined helped me determine a build style that I thought would be cool and fun to build, basically out of my comfort zone, and I might add it's been fun. As long as my buddy digs it, I'm good with that. I went with a very subdued color, knowing I would have lots of doo-dad items on it. RustyGold nailed it on the 80's theme, that's exactly what I am going for!
Here is a simple build I did for my wife 15 plus years ago, although its ready for a slight freshening up, but it is simple, 1959 dual straight bar Tornado.

I agree. A Schwinn twin bar canti frame is a frame item everyone would love to own. Mine was stolen 15 years ago, and I am still in mourning..:arghh::(

I have 2 '62 Typhoons...one is destined for a future as a BMX cruiser (or strandie, depending on definition)... complete with pads :grin:, the other, that I recently stumbled upon, will probably end up in the for sale section soon.

I was a little shocked when you referred to pads as doodaddery, as a kid...the only new things I had on my bikes would be grips, pads, and a chain if needed (I did buy a couple sets of tuff knock-offs over the years as well). Your right, though...pads are definitely a form over function item...so, doodaddery is fair. Thinking a bit further on it though...paint is doodaddery as well. I never applied paint to a single one of my creations as a kid as it served no function :bigsmile:.

Jason

The wife's twin bar will eventually get a make over, meaning new paint, so the forks will match, probably same color. It had an aftermarket springer on it, which looked good, but was falling apart, not to mention I love Schwinn blade forks. Maybe a new wheelset to replace the cheap ones on it!, regarding doodadderys, I guess it can be considered part of all hobbies, wether building bicycles, motorcycles or hot rods. Not everything is form, fit, function. Something's are simply cosmetic based on personal preference and taste. Building bicycles, motorcycles, hot rods, is a form of art, art is subjective. With that being said, let's build some art!

Pads actually are pretty functional items. They may give you a false sense of security though. BMX-ers take higher risks launching off of everything in sight, and so they run em. Not sure if the the pro riders do, at least at the competitions I have watched on the boob-tube... .
Admittedly, I would love to have had them on one or two bad crashes when I was a young buck. For an older ratter/cyclist like me, raccoon tails, oversized horns and lights, handlebar streamers, crash pads, whirligigs, can holders, and all other doodadery has faded into the past, and today prefer the stripped-to-functional Rat.:bigboss:

Thanks! The blue one is a 1981 that my father in law bought brand new. It was sitting on their property, I brought it home and stored it for awhile before I started working on it. He upgraded when he bought to the Tange forks. I added the Cebe stem, the bars are S&M Hudky bars, I swapped out to nos TAKagi cranks spider and chain ring, nos Dia compe two piece seat post lamp. It's waiting it's turn.

IMG_3583 Done 1.jpg
Here is a picture of almost completed. My plan was to run modern v-brakes using the machined aluminum adaptors from pork Chop BMX. First I had to make shims, since the ID of the adaptors is .750", and the Schwinn seat stays are .500", after making the shims out of .125" aluminum tubing, cutting them in half, sanding them down to the proper width, and spending about two hours trying to set these brakes up, I eventually realized it wasn't going to work. Not because I don't know how to set up v-brakes, but because of the frame width, and the placement the adaptors put the pivot point at. I couldn't get the brake pads to square up to the rim. I then realized the cable running across the top of the tire from one brake arm to the next was rubbing on the tire. So I ordered a new set of Tektro caliper brakes from Planet BMX, and they were even red, only to find out they didn't have enough reach nor would they go around the fat 2.35" tire. Talk about frustrated! What I did I do? I went and grabbed my box of old calipers and dug out some Weinmann 1020's. Did a quick mock up and they fit. I took them apart, polished the aluminum, replaced all of the hardware, installed, and now I have brakes. I still need to replace the brake lever, it has the Tektro, which is for the v-brakes,, and doesn't have the right action for the caliper brakes. I will also be changing the cable to an Odyssey Slick Cable, and Odyssey brake pads for the ultimate stopping power for these old caliper brakes. I also changed out the seat post clamp from the re-issue two piece black Dia Compe, to a two piece aluminum industrial type of donut clamp. Kind of tied the polished brake assembly together, plus my Son wants the black one on his cruiser! LOL
I will be finishing up all of the swap out stuff tonight and my buddy will be getting his new bike on Saturday. I will post pictures of his reaction.

Last edited:
It looks great with the red! I use V-brake levers on calipers some times, they have a longer pull that helps get more power if you have long or crazy routed cables.

Latest posts

Back