24” pig

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It’s been a while since I last entered any type of build off, but I’ve been meaning to built this bike up and it fits into this build off. A couple years ago me and a couple friends were getting a 1948 Ford f1 out of a private salvage yard. I found this 24” schwinn frame in the bed of another truck and the guy said I could have it for $10. By the serial number it it looks like it was made in 1954. It has been out in the elements for a really long time. It’s pretty locked up, but if I can get it apart there might even be some paint under the rust. Plans are some apes, banana seat, some 24” s2’s with some thick bricks.
5F68FFCA-A7E1-40B8-9351-A2EAEF9197A4.jpeg

82297283-314A-4E40-BBB2-C4189B6FDE09.jpeg
F8644519-CE8D-4946-8684-E088A5A9CD68.jpeg

It's either a Wasp or Streamliner (from the 54 catalog) These are the 26" versions so the chain wheel is probably different. It should look great when you finish it. Is the serial on the dropout or BB?
1954_schwinn_wasp.jpg

1954_schwinn_streamliner.jpg

Dig the frame and your build plan! Welcome to the fun!

I like using White Vinegar applied with a #000 or #0000 steel wool. Find a hidden spot to start with, and you might want to thin the solution a bit with water to reduce the strength. It will take off the pin stripes and possibly those cool 'darts' if you go too hard with it. You might be surprised how effective it can be on removing surface rust.

RaT oN~!

It's either a Wasp or Streamliner (from the 54 catalog) These are the 26" versions so the chain wheel is probably different. It should look great when you finish it. Is the serial on the dropout or BB?
1954_schwinn_wasp.jpg

1954_schwinn_streamliner.jpg
I kind of wish that the chain guard was still there. I’m thinking about using a phantom style chain wheel if it will fit. The serial is on the dropout and is n08467. I only took a quick look at the serial lists so I could be wrong on the year.

Dig the frame and your build plan! Welcome to the fun!

I like using White Vinegar applied with a #000 or #0000 steel wool. Find a hidden spot to start with, and you might want to thin the solution a bit with water to reduce the strength. It will take off the pin stripes and possibly those cool 'darts' if you go too hard with it. You might be surprised how effective it can be on removing surface rust.

RaT oN~!
The vinegar and steel wool is a good idea. I’ve found that naval jelly is pretty effective at eating the rust and not the paint. On this one I’m just it sure if the paint is on top of the rust or under. It looks like there is still a fair amount of pain on there. I’m not really sure yet what color it actually is.

I'm seeing blue paint on the top bar. I'll bet it's amazing how the paint comes back to life.
It's a 54, but there's a typo in the serial list.
09/31 ------------------ N00001 ------------------ N06102

10/01 to 10/07 ------- N10603 ------------------ N22381

I'll bet the N10603 should be N06103, as it should follow the previous N06102. So that's the build date, first week of Oct 1954.

Seems you have a plan.
I scratch my head in wonder how the chrome still looks in good nick after all that time...
Here it starts instantly,I know I live by the sea,but something tells me they dont chrome like the good ole days.

Seems you have a plan.
I scratch my head in wonder how the chrome still looks in good nick after all that time...
Here it starts instantly,I know I live by the sea,but something tells me they dont chrome like the good ole days.
Yeah, the chrome back then was crazy. All of the chrome is in decent shape and should clean up some (not pitted). The junkyard it was in hasn't really been used in over 30 years, so it's been out in the weather for a long time. I haven't got the fork out yet, but everything else including the seat post came apart very easily.

My 24” s2’s showed up today so I did a little mock up. I really like the wheel setup. I also have some white wall thick bricks that I will try on there too. Still haven’t gotten the fork off the bike yet, but it’ll come off. I think I’ll have to tweak the fork a bit too because it looks a little bent backwards. The banana seat has model a taillight under it. I think I have different set of bars too, but these work for now.

As for the paint revel there is basically no paint left on the bike. There is a a bit of primer here and there and the white paint is still somewhat intact. When I took out the bearing cups there was a small amount of original red paint. I like the look and will probably seal it all with some amber shellac.
00CE23F3-D264-406A-85A8-D69F10725C27.jpeg
A3388367-4CEF-4C1A-85FA-38EAEC993948.jpeg
4CBED4D6-191D-4A7A-A083-E4C5F4BB4284.jpeg

Amber shellac you say? Hmmm, I like the sound of that. I use Zinsser Bulls Eye Amber shellac to refinish and touch up violins that I repair. It's a great color match, you just keep layering it till it matches the original.

In your case, I'm intrigued with how it will preserve and maybe 'pop' your patina on that cool frame. :crazy2:

Amber shellac you say? Hmmm, I like the sound of that. I use Zinsser Bulls Eye Amber shellac to refinish and touch up violins that I repair. It's a great color match, you just keep layering it till it matches the original.

In your case, I'm intrigued with how it will preserve and maybe 'pop' your patina on that cool frame. :crazy2:

I use the same shellac on bikes. I think the amber color adds a cool look to it. I usually use the naval jelly to get rid of some of the rust, and then add coats until I get it to the color that I want. The nice thing about shellac is that you can remove it and easily touch it up.

Used it on this model c
37a.jpg
37b.jpg

and this dx
5.jpg
21.jpg

Oh yeah, def digging that for sure! **files away in the 'good ideas for future builds' drawer**

Latest posts

Back