2020 Schwinn Stingray 125th frame (only) wwith Vintage/Repop parts and 26" Springer "Right Tools For The Job"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This build (my first one documented here) started off with my '68 Stingray, until I discovered it was a Jr, so that one will be on the back burner for the time being.
So, I went on the hunt for a 2020 125th frame to use all the parts that I've gathered thus far to build the bike I've been seeing in my head, Grape Ape. A bike that I can haul around in the back of my '41 Chevy pee-cup to take to shows and cruise around on. My vision was a 20" Stingray, but build it so an adult can ride it via 26" forks, bigger cranks and cog. Add mag wheels, tall seatpost/sissy bar, white walls and painted late 60's/early 70's Dodge Plum Crazy Purple the same color my truck will be when finished.
I found a frame and got right to work. I have little experience mixing old and new when it comes to bicycles. However, I've been doing it on Harleys and Hot Rods, so I figured this won't be much different.
Here it is, The stock (not for long) 2020 125th Stingray. Love the blue, too bad it's gotta go! I dont leave anytng alone...well, except for my 1st gen Electra Rat Fink.
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 c.jpg

s-l1600 c1b.jpg
s-l1600 c5.jpg

More updates and pix coming, hold please.

Last edited:
I LOVE this idea Johnny! What are the front forks off of a Schwinn what??? They look PURTY!!!
Totally digging the plum crazy paint idea as well. That was my original plan along with sublime green and a pearl white. Found way nicer rattle cans and less pricey for my 2004 stingray.
Keep us posted. Can’t wait to see how this turns out when complete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I LOVE this idea Johnny! What are the front forks off of a Schwinn what??? They look PURTY!!!
Totally digging the plum crazy paint idea as well. That was my original plan along with sublime green and a pearl white. Found way nicer rattle cans and less pricey for my 2004 stingray.
Keep us posted. Can’t wait to see how this turns out when complete.

Thanks, those are the stock 2020 forks (in the 1st pic).

Next, I got after the crank/cog swap. This was not a direct swap. With the exception of the bearings and races, none of the hardware can be cross-pollinated. I used the '20 crank bearing races only, everything else is '75 (another WIN!)
I removed the '20 cranks/lucky 7 cog and installed the '75 cranks and 46 tooth cog. I immediately noticed that the cog hit the frame slightly on the rear section, so I removed everything and reinstalled with a cog spacer. Perfect, we now have clearance, Clarence. Until I realized that the crank arm was now hitting slightly on the other side of the frame's rear section. I took everything apart again and went through my stash of washers to find one that was approx half the thickness of the cog spacer (on the left) and then had to bore it out larger with my trusty uni-bit and reinstall everything again. BINGO perfect spacing on both sides, now.
IMG_1784.jpg

IMG_1767.jpg
IMG_1768.jpg

IMG_1769.jpg

More pix and updates coming, hold please.

Last edited:
Sweetness!

Top shelf! Gotta love spare, spare parts. The old lady may complain, but she can’t piss n moan about a FINISHED project. Keep it coming bro.

For the wheels, I wanted mid 70's Moto-Mags, but at $700-$1,100 a set minium, I had to use the next best thing. No, NOT plastic Tuff Wheels, mid 2000's Mongoose Star Mags. I located a '07 Mongoose Rebel Air for cheap and pillaged it for the rims (I may make a cool lowrider with the frame some day).
goose.jpg

Next, I had to liberate the reflector tabs (I have OCD) using a drill, boring bit and sanding barrels to finish.
mgoose wheel4.jpg

mgoose wheel3jpg.jpg
mgoose wheel2.jpg

Ahhhh much better. Sorry purists, CHOP THEM ALL! Look at my '41 (wink).
mgoose wheel1.jpg

Then I had to open up the forks a bit with a grinder to make clearance for the metric axles, didn't take much (shown with a set of spoke rims I have).
forks 1.jpg

forks 2.jpg
forks 3.jpg

Oh, almost forgot. I have big plans for the rims I'll get to that later. More pix and updates coming, hold please.

Last edited:
Next I mounted up the white walls (Slick/Brick) and made a roller out of it for mock-up. I'm giving thought to adding a Schwinn vintage factory truss rod brace to the forks, too but I'll needd to figure out how to shorten it up a couple inches, or make new custom size rods....Hmmm???
IMG_1771.jpg

IMG_1773.jpg
IMG_1780.jpg

Here's a comparison of the forks, hard to capture with a camera but you get the idea.
IMG_1777.jpg
IMG_1778.jpg

So, I said I had plans for the mags...the plan is I'm going to get them soda blasted and then have my buddy Paul at Spitfire Motorcycles polish the lips. Then I'm going to paint the mag portion a cast magnesium gray color, so they will look like hot rod rims from the 60's, like a Torque Thruster, or an ET, etc.
ar-vn309-torq-thrust-painted-gray-with-machined-lip_1.jpg

Hers a quick photo-chop concept I did.
gray wheel.jpg

And that's where I'm at for the moment. Stay tuned! Modified chain guard, seat, sissy bar, handlebars, rear brake/fender, etc. up next...well once I figure out what I'm going to do. I have several ideas.

Last edited:
Not much progress today. I'm still trying to decide on bars, sissy bar and a seat. Looking for a vintage, but not too roached out 18-19" banana to take apart and have recovered by a friend of mine who has an upholstery shop. I'll repaint the pan while he's doing that. So, in the interim I modified the 125th chain guard a bit to fit the larger '75 cog. I only had to re-drill the front bracket to bring it up a bit. Chain clears and also lines up perfect with the Mongoose mag cog. I got lucky considering I had to space the cog out a bit.
guard2.jpg

guard3.jpg
guard1.jpg

I may fab up a new bracket before I paint it, but its really on there good. The new chain guards are very thin gauge steel, like really thin. I was surprised when I pulled it off to see how light it was. I thought it was aluminum till I put a magnet on it for verification. Haha.

Parts are slowly trickling in. Thought I'd share my experience looking for a stem, or gooseneck which ever you prefer to call it. I looked everywhere on line and they all sell the same junk. Most have exposed welds in the clamp area, cheezy twisted stuff for low riders, or you have to use a BMX style which I like, but not what I have in mind for this 125th build. I decided to look on Amazon and they too sell all the same junk I was finding elsewhere, until I came across this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CTZ4713/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It had a not so good picture, but it had one really good review with regard to the finish. I had a $25 gift card from my boss, figured what the heck roll the dice. I was blown away by the quality, it looks like triple chrome, which here in So-Cal is next to impossible to get done now. Really stoked to say the least.
IMG_1836.jpg
IMG_1838.jpg

Just discovered tonight that the seat post tube i.d.=7/8" and my tall Schwinn (style) seat post o.d. =13/16 . I tightened it until the split was pinched closed (not in this pic), it was still moving. Guess I'll need to get a Wald seatpost shim or make one.
seat post open.jpg

In case your wondering, the seat post that came with it (which I don't have) is fugly full of cross hatches and too short anyway.
seat post 2020.jpg

Last edited:
Next I mounted up the white walls (Slick/Brick) and made a roller out of it for mock-up. I'm giving thought to adding a Schwinn vintage factory truss rod brace to the forks, too but I'll needd to figure out how to shorten it up a couple inches, or make new custom size rods....Hmmm???
View attachment 132311
View attachment 132312View attachment 132313
Here's a comparison of the forks, hard to capture with a camera but you get the idea.
View attachment 132314View attachment 132315
So, I said I had plans for the mags...the plan is I'm going to get them soda blasted and then have my buddy Paul at Spitfire Motorcycles polish the lips. Then I'm going to paint the mag portion a cast magnesium gray color, so they will look like hot rod rims from the 60's, like a Torque Thruster, or an ET, etc.
View attachment 132317
Hers a quick photo-chop concept I did.
View attachment 132321
And that's where I'm at for the moment. Stay tuned! Modified chain guard, seat, sissy bar, handlebars, rear brake/fender, etc. up next...well once I figure out what I'm going to do. I have several ideas.
I didn’t go gray, but we polished the lips on my son’s Tornado and it looks awesome!
0606CFE0-D08A-4338-9258-AB58AD52416C.jpeg

I didn’t go gray, but we polished the lips on my son’s Tornado and it looks awesome! View attachment 133802
Looks great! Did you polish to a mirror, or? My original plan was to polish the lips. However, It dawned on me later that this is a freewheel hub, so I'll need to use a cantilever brake. That being said, I don't want to take the time to polish just to have the rear get all scuffed up. It'll send my OCD into the stratosphere, haha. I was just messing with them a few minutes ago dismounting the tires/tubes trying to come up with a plan. Not sure what I'm going to do yet.

Looks great! Did you polish to a mirror, or? My original plan was to polish the lips. However, It dawned on me later that this is a freewheel hub, so I'll need to use a cantilever brake. That being said, I don't want to take the time to polish just to have the rear get all scuffed up. It'll send my OCD into the stratosphere, haha. I was just messing with them a few minutes ago dismounting the tires/tubes trying to come up with a plan. Not sure what I'm going to do yet.
I didn’t quite to a mirror finish, it it was pretty shiny. It dulled out just a little when I clearcoated the rim. This bike has a coaster, so I went with the clear for protection/longevity. I did pretty much the same thing my ‘37 Rollfast strandie as well.
20AC81FF-D41B-4306-A764-EA92B72CC75A.jpeg

Latest posts

Back