2016 SCHWINN AEROVANE CRUISER - REVIEW

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I swapped the left-overs to a 80's Schwinn Cruiser, surprised the larger tires cleared the frame
20161227_153845.jpg

So how hard would it be to change out the rear hub to a three speed hub? I've never torn apart a hub before much less swap one out. Is this something I should pay a shop to do?

I totally missed this bike. I'm not a fan of the frame at all, but those tires are killer!
I have a Felt Speedway that is headed my way in a week or so, I wonder how one of those front tires would look with a Felt Zig Zag rear fatty.

So how hard would it be to change out the rear hub to a three speed hub? I've never torn apart a hub before much less swap one out. Is this something I should pay a shop to do?
It is not hard to lace a wheel once you get the hang of it. Watch some videos, then try on some old scrap wheels first and when you get confident, go to it!

It is not hard to lace a wheel once you get the hang of it. Watch some videos, then try on some old scrap wheels first and when you get confident, go to it!
I would assume that it's as simple as removing the stock hub and swapping it out. Then just connecting a cable and shifter. Am I missing something... other than patience.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I would assume that it's as simple as removing the stock hub and swapping it out. Then just connecting a cable and shifter. Am I missing something... other than patience.

Provided the hub flanges are similarly sized, it is surprising how much different they can be and you can still get away with the same length spokes though!

And yes, you will need patience! ;)

Removing the hub would mean unlacing the wheel. Then lacing with the new hub. Maybe different length spokes. As mentioned above. Too bad you couldn't just swap the guts.
I would get a 3 speed w coaster wheel, same size as your rim, and put your tube and tire on, then run the shifter and cable. That would give the least amount of headaches and wouldn't cost much more than a new hub and spokes and you would be on the road quicker.

Decided to swap out the stock pedals with some bow pedals that I had and I also changed bars to some new Wald bars I had. Oh yeah, threw on a pair of Thompson Classic Coke Bottle grips too...
There goes yer lifetime warranty...

Nice review of it. They have a Margaritaville bike at Walmart too and will post pics in the Walmart thread.
We got a Walmart thread?

[emoji450]

Removing the hub would mean unlacing the wheel. Then lacing with the new hub. Maybe different length spokes. As mentioned above. Too bad you couldn't just swap the guts.
I would get a 3 speed w coaster wheel, same size as your rim, and put your tube and tire on, then run the shifter and cable. That would give the least amount of headaches and wouldn't cost much more than a new hub and spokes and you would be on the road quicker.

I'm not in a hurry to get it on the road. Bought this to be a project bike. I just might learn something in the process too.

I'm not in a hurry to get it on the road. Bought this to be a project bike. I just might learn something in the process too.
There's a lot of tutorials on lacing a wheel on YouTube, and there are spoke calculators online too that explain what to measure on your hub and rim to get the correct spoke length you'll need for your particular setup. It's a neat thing to learn and not as hard as it I thought it'd be. I laced a 2 speed kickback hub to a modern alloy rim, and it went pretty easy. Good luck on your build.

Carl.

sent from a banana phone...

Just ordered one of these after I found it on clearance locally. I'm looking to order some new grips, pedals, and handlebars, but couldn't find any technical specs online or in Schwinn's generic manual. Could you guys help me out? Wanted to get them here around the same time as the bike.

My son has one of these and he wants gears on it. I was thinking of buying a 3 or 5 speed complete wheel rather than messing about with the original. Does anyone know what the rim width is on these?

I went out with a pair of callipers and the rim is 1.5+- . I've found a set of Weinmann 1.75 rims with a nexus 3 speed coaster hub. I'm going to take a punt on them and hope they fit as they're about $20 more than a sturmey archer 5 speed hub on its own.

I'll have to search you tube for setting up the cable but failing that I'll take it to the local shop.

I like the Aerovane, and the Miday (29" and 7 speed model), and the Swindler too. But, one never sees these in the Hilo Walmart, and if you order one through Walmart online, they tack on about $75 over the price of the bike for shipping and "fees".

Last edited:
They're appear to be some no-name brand tire too...need to look closer for the maker's mark.

The big question is...will they be available for purchase separately?

I’d be interested in a wheel set with tires if they are available somewhere!

I was surprised to see a few Hyper cruisers at my Walmart last February. It looked like an Electra, so I bought the only one with straight wheels. It still needed a complete overhaul to get it right, but I resold it for more than I paid. I haven't seen that style cruiser at Walmart here since. I asked the manager if they could order more, along with the 26 x 3.0 tires they had on the webpage. He said they had no say in what showed up at the store, so I would have to order online. The high shipping can't be avoided.
50600_2e78f9165914efe62bf6adb61fdbb546.jpg

Last edited:
I found an eBay supplier that is selling the Schwinn Aerovane tires by themselves. Long story short, they're going to cost you $40 each shipped.

Easiest way to find them is to go to eBay and type in "serpentine tires" in the search box. Seller is wto_bike. In the auction you want to select 26x3.0 in the first box and serpentine in the second box. The auction won't display the correct tire until you follow the steps above.

I was surprised to see a few Hyper cruisers at my Walmart last February. It looked like an Electra, so I bought the only one with straight wheels. It still needed a complete overhaul to get it right, but I resold it for more than I paid. I haven't seen that style cruiser at Walmart here since. I asked the manager if they could order more, along with the 26 x 3.0 tires they had on the webpage. He said they had no say in what showed up at the store, so I would have to order online. The high shipping can't be avoided.
View attachment 66648

I have seen some of these Hyper cruisers at the Hilo Walmart the last couple times I was there. Too bad they didn't have them when I bought my Huffy Cranbrook.

Pedal swap, mount the rear fender support underneath, ditch the graphics and get a vintage decal pack, grip swap, stem swap.

If you have this stuff laying around, no big deal. I have grips, stem, pedals. Hmm

Like these seats, there is another one with different pattern sewn in thats been popping up for sale.

Latest posts

Back