2016 SCHWINN AEROVANE CRUISER - REVIEW

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Stumbled upon this new 2016 Schwinn Aerovane 26" Cruiser the other day on Walmart.com and decided for $149 I'd give it a look. The vintage style double bar steel frame and the 26" x 3" fat tires with radial tread pattern intrigued me. Wasn't expecting much at that price point, but I was pretty surprised how nice the bike turned out to be. I'd say it was decent competition for the entry level model cruisers in the Electra, Trek and Felt line up.

I put my order in on Sunday and it showed up today (Friday) via FedEx. Fortunately it made it to my place in one piece without any damage. The bike I ordered shipped out of their California warehouse.

I would say for the money, it would be a great base for anyone wanting to build a cool custom rat. Larger sized frame for adult riders, painted S2 style wheels, bobbed fenders, etc. Not a lightweight bike by any means. I weighed it and it came to 43lbs. I think everything on this bike is steel...rims, frame, fork, seat post, bars, stem, fenders, etc.

Standover height on the bike is 31" and the top tube measures 25" from the center of the neck tube to the center of the seat tube. At 5'9" tall I'm just about resting on the top tube when I stand over it.

Typical issues with most cheap bikes these days...lack of bearing grease, cheap pedals and kickstand, but overall a solid cruiser for the price.

Bike available online here...

Here are a few pics, followed by an unboxing video.

aerovane001_small.jpg

aerovane002_small.jpg

aerovane003_small.jpg

aerovane004_small.jpg

aerovane005_small.jpg

I did ride it around the neighborhood a bit this evening before it got dark and it seems to be geared pretty well. Not too hard to pedal and you can cruise along at a decent speed. Would be nice with a Nexus 3 speed for sure, but if you live someplace flat it's pretty easy to ride.

Steve you need to stick that wheelset on a vintage frame just to see if they will fit! Also the tires kind of have that plastic look to them, or is that just the photos?

I think it's just the way they look in the photo. I had not ridden on them yet when I took the photos or the video so I think the finish will dull down a bit with some wear. They feel just like normal rubber tires to me.

One thing that I wonder is how wide a wheel and tire will fit in this F/F combo since it comes with a 3" wide tire.

I checked the link and it seems Schwinn has a lifetime warranty as long as you own the bike. I don't know the details, but that is pretty impressive for a inexpensive bike.

I sure wish they stocked them over here. I need two of these for my trike project. Put a regular front wheel and tire on one and use both fronts on the second one.

Latest posts

Back