2014 MONGOOSE MASSIF 20" FAT TIRE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
This thing showed up via UPS today.....you can tell by looking at the box. :p

Quick initial thoughts....disc brakes need adjusting...if they can be. They are both rubbing out of the box. All steel frame and fork with alloy wheels. Headset and BB both need grease. Build quality is decent...typical Walmart level bike.

Here are a few photos...

DSC_0164.JPG

DSC_0165.JPG

DSC_0166.JPG

DSC_0167.JPG

DSC_0168.JPG

DSC_0169.JPG

DSC_0170.JPG

DSC_0171.JPG

DSC_0172.JPG

DSC_0173.JPG

DSC_0174.JPG

DSC_0178.JPG

DSC_0177.JPG

DSC_0179.JPG

DSC_0184.JPG

DSC_0191.JPG

DSC_0198.JPG

Here's what a guy in his 40s looks like riding on one....ignore my daughter's thumb. :21:

Last edited:
based on what I've been reading, I think if I bought one I wouldn't even start putting it together without taking everything apart first and assembling it the proper way.
What is the lowest possible height for the seat? My 6yr old needs a new bike this year..

based on what I've been reading, I think if I bought one I wouldn't even start putting it together without taking everything apart first and assembling it the proper way.
What is the lowest possible height for the seat? My 6yr old needs a new bike this year..

I'm going to post some measurements in just a bit. My 8 year old daughter managed to get on and ride without any problems and she only weighs 50lbs.

Lowest seat hight from floor to top of seat is 23"

Tires inflated from floor to top edge is 22.5"

Standover height is 22.5"

It's funny because she's just learning to ride a freewheel and hasn't quite grasped the whole gear shifting thing yet. I think she had it in 2nd gear when she was riding...thus the slow speed. Probably going to swap some BMX bars on there or maybe some apes.

My biggest concern is getting the brakes sorted out. If I can't get them adjusted properly so that they don't constantly rub when riding then it may be going back to Walmart.

those brakes are adjustable. loosen up the mounting bolts, squeeze the lever and tighten them back up. sometimes you have to shim one side with a credit card or something to cheat a little especially with the single piston disc brakes.

My 6 year old learned to ride a 2 wheeler today. I'm so proud of him. Probably will order him a massif soon!

those brakes are adjustable. loosen up the mounting bolts, squeeze the lever and tighten them back up. sometimes you have to shim one side with a credit card or something to cheat a little especially with the single piston disc brakes.
Yep, that is the way to do it. I had those exact callipers on my "50 years" bike, got them sorted out the same way. The mounting holes are slotted.

Good looking little bike, I would totally ride a ratted out one with a layback seat post and apes...

Luke.

Latest posts

Back