2014 Get-A-Grip

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last two years you have watched us build our giveaway bikes here on RatRodBikes.com. Well it is time once again to start on our third giveaway bike. Get-A-Grip bicycle show is coming this March 22, 2014 in Cleveland TN and we are looking to be bigger and better than ever. Please see our post in the event section. This year we are starting with a custom painted 26" frame. We will be going for a nice blend of New skool and Ol' Skool look with the bike. We are thinking a nice bent Springer front end with a 24 X3 wide white in the back with a skinny 26 X 1 3/8 wide white up front. Don't want to give too much away but that is the direction at the moment. The build will go slow as we have a little over two months to get ready for the show. Hope to see you there.

th_DSCN0896_zpsff87db40.jpg

Sorry guys, I was diagnosed first with a severe sinus infection on January 8, 2014 then the following Monday January 13, 2014 I was diagnosed with the flu then on Wednesday January 15, diagnosed with an allergic reaction to the meds I was on. So to say the least, not a lot has been going on other than in the bed rest. I did want to say that parts are coming in.
th_DSCN0897_zps851a9865.jpg

I have the bent front fork, both front and rear wheels, tires, tubes so work should begin soon. I may have the bike together enough to show at the swap meet in Dallas GA in February. The T-shirt design is at the printers getting ready to prepare the screen for the 2014 T. Scotts Bicycles in Cleveland is behind us again and we say thanks! I know I am going to have to work on this photobucket pictures for they are coming up too small. But for now this is what we have. Thanks for all of the support and until next time..................................................

Thanks for the well wishes. Last night after work I felt good enough to work a little on the bike. As stated I had purchased a 24X2.125 rear wheel and a 26X1 3/8 front wheel. I purchased the Electra 24X3 Fatti-O wide white for the rear along with Duro 26X1 3/8 wide white for the front. The rear wheel has a great motorcycle type tread design for a great look. With the rear being so big and the front being so small once together they match up real well. Here is a look a the wheels all together. the next step will be mounting the front bent fork. Until then . . . . . . . . . . .
th_DSCN0900_zps62680580.jpg
th_DSCN0899_zps3585b84e.jpg

If anyone is curious which way this bike is going, I will give you a little hint. I just finished the Mead Ranger a few months back and it rides great. I rode it on our monthly 20 mile ride in Chattanooga and it was very comfortable despite the way it looks.
th_DSCN0852-Copy_zps8c6bcdbd.jpg

I used a one barrel carburetor off a tractor for the carb on the tank it draws lots of looks. The stack off the carburetor was a slash cut exhaust tip picked up at our local auto parts store. I hope to be able to do some work this weekend. I just got word the T-shirts are in for the show so I better run.

This was a very productive weekend. On Saturday I went down into the basement around 4 pm and started work and the next thing I know it was 1:30 am. The first thing I did was mount the bent springer front fork and mounted the front tire. I am looking for a steel chrome straight bar for the front and may be close to finding one. Then it was off to the rear where the rear tire was mounted. I always like the look of the bobbed fender and I had 3 to chose from as I just went to one of the bike stores in Chattanooga "Best Bikes" and picked up a chrome one. I like to use the front fender from a balloon bike when possible. After working with the 3 I had the one I purchased this morning worked the best. The chrome rear fender really pops with the chrome on the springer front. I love the vintage chain guards from the 30's and purchase them when I can and just happened to have one to go on this one. It will need to be powder coated but wondering if it should not be chrome? So it was mounted and now the bike is beginning to take shape. I had a nerve seat laying around so I placed it on the bike just to get and idea. I am really looking for a hot deal in a black brook's seat but so far have not been successful. So here is a small thumbnail of what it looks like to date.
th_DSCN0909_zpse76ebc3e.jpg

I apologize for the small picture, I have tried for weeks to figure out photobucket with no success as you can see. Hopefully by the time the bike is done I will figure out how to post a larger picture. I am currently working on a wood tank and will do a few more tricks before I call it quits. Until next time . . . .

Thanks everyone for your great response. Just remember this bike will be going home with someone the day of the show and no one knows this better than CeeBee as he won the first one we gave away back in 2012. If weather permits, I should be in Nashville TN this weekend at the Super Bowl Sunday Swap meet at the fair grounds promoting the show. If I make it I will have the bicycle on display in its current build state. My booth space in the parking lot is #27 in case you want to look at the bike. A quick update on the bike: I ordered the handlebars this morning and should be here in a couple of weeks. I have made the template for the tank and working on the wood now. Thanks again for everyone's support as the proceeds from this show benefit the American Cancer Society. PS: I have the T-Shirts in hand and may bring a few to Nashville if anyone is interested they are $12 each.

The tank is now made but needs be stained.
th_DSCN0912_zps99144314.jpg

I used cardboard to make the template and used 2X4 trimmed down to be 1" thick and then glued two together to make it tall enough.

Once it was cut out and sanded down to fit I used two wooden dowels to hold the tank in place. I drilled two holes near the bottom for the dowels to fit through. Once the tank is stained (Pecan gloss) I will place the tank on the bike and glue in the wood dowels and it should hold nicely.
th_DSCN0914_zpsd1edc5c8.jpg

The picture was taken side ways but I believe you can get an idea.

Latest posts

Back