2013 MONGOOSE BEAST REVIEW - SUNLITE CRUSHERS

Discussion in 'FAT BIKES' started by Rat Rod, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Rat Rod

Rat Rod Owner & Founder Staff Member Moderator Pro Member

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

Going to give my official review here. Technically this isn't a rat rod bike, but with all of the hype and the quirkiness of this bike, it had to be done. The bike has created quite a stir amongst the off road enthusiasts and it seems that people either love it or hate it. You get the usual..."I hate Walmart!" ..."Cheap Chinese Junk!!" people and then there are ones that see the bike for what it is and choose to enjoy it. Just in parts alone the bike is well worth the asking price of $199.

THE PACKAGING
    As expected, Mongoose's packing job on these bike is awful. My frame was actually scratched up by the front wheel axle because the front wheel was somewhat loose inside the box. The other loose parts were the seat/seat post, the pedals, and the handlebar/stem combo. They are pretty much free to move around inside the box...which is LARGE by the way.

When you open the box you just can't help but laugh at the size of the tires that you see. Also, your garage instantly smells like a Discount Tire store. :lol:

ASSEMBLY
    It took me about 20 minutes to get it all unwrapped and assembled. I did notice that the headset was over tightened and wouldn't turn very easily. At first I thought it was a dry bearing situation, but when I took the front end apart, the bearings appeared to have plenty of grease. I got it back together and then it turned fine. All other parts were easy to install and gave me no problems.

THE BIKE
    The frame is steel...did a magnet test on it. The headset is 1 1/8 with a threaded fork. The finish is a nice matte painted finish and the decals are terrible. The decals are a matte finish as well and that makes them look weird because you see all of the clear edges. They are easy to remove. If you do remove them and there is glue residue left, just rub it with your finger and it comes off easily. Whatever you do, don't use Acetone...don't ask me how I know. :oops:

When looking at the pics on Walmart's site you kinda question the handlebars, but once you actually ride the bike, you realize that they are a good fit. I'm 5'9" tall so I had to jack the seat up to the position that you see in the photos below. It's a comfortable ride and even the seat is fairly comfortable.

They mention on the site that it comes with a heavy duty kickstand, and when you first see it you think...huh? It actually is a pretty strong kickstand that holds the bike up well.

The tires are not the Innova spider pattern tires as shown on the Walmart website, but instead they are these very cool knobby off road tires. A way better look in my opinion over the spiders.

The gearing is a little on the high side. It takes a little extra effort to get rolling. You've got a 36 tooth sprocket up front and an 18 tooth out back. Would be interesting to see how it rides with a 32 tooth up front.

THE RIDE
    I had just a short time to ride it before it got dark out and I will have to say that it was pretty dang fun. I let some of the air out as some suggested and it makes for a very soft ride. The bike is geared quite well and you can get rolling along at a good pace without much effort. The bikes feel really stable and nimble and it's incredibly easy to ride no handed.

CONCLUSION
    It's a fun bike to goof around on for $199 and it will put a smile on your face riding it. If you're looking for a hardcore off-road bike similar to the Sun Spyder or the Surly Moonlander, this ain't it. If you're looking for a fun bike to ride on the beach or some very light dirt trails or on the street, this will handle the job.

Don't be surprised if you get laughed at when riding it though. Most people have never seen anything like this. I took mine out for a test spin and some guys in my neighborhood rode by on MTBs and said..."Holy Cow!!" and started laughing. My kids thought the bike was very cool and funny and my 10 year old could ride it pretty easily with the seat slammed.

One note about the photos below. I removed some of the decals and the chainguard and I threw on a set of Welgo platform pedals I had.

VIDEO

[​IMG]

<< CLICK IMAGES TO SEE LARGER VERSIONS >>

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's my damaged finish because of the loose front wheel in the box...OUCH!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the measurement breakdown...

[​IMG]

After several modifications...this is what my Beast looks like now...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Houndog

Houndog

0   0   0

Re: 2013 MONGOOSE BEAST

Thanks for the nice close up pics...
  3. teabeats

teabeats

0   0   0

How did it ride?....

....(got it) What little chance I had to ride it was pretty dang fun.
  4. Rat Rod

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

It rides great.

You're not gonna be a speed demon on it, but it's fun to ride over stuff on it.

It actually ran quite a bit faster and easier than I expected. You feel well balanced on it and it's pretty easy to maneuver.

Definitely a fun bike to cruise around on.
  5. Toeslider

Toeslider

0   0   0

If you get a chance, can you measure the space between the rear dropouts for reference? You know, in case somebody is thinking of doing something stupid, like lacing in a Nexus 7 speed... :shock:
  6. axsepul

axsepul

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

i really like it. i needsss moneysss.
  7. mazdawg78

mazdawg78

0   0   0

What size are the wheels?
  8. Road Master

Road Master

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I am curious - what is the actual width of the rims? Thanks! Robert
  9. yoothgeye

yoothgeye I <3 Single Speeds Moderator

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

The same factory worker must have installed yours and my fork, but different workers packed ours as mine was fine in the box.
  10. Big_Daddy_Sloth

Big_Daddy_Sloth

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Hahaha. You need to drill those rims out! How heavy are they?

I just bought a Surly Moonlander last September, so I know about the large box. :D
  11. abosley

abosley

0   0   0

Fat tire bikes like this have become real popular here in the U.P. of Michigan for winter riding in the the snow and beach riding along the shores of Lake Superior in the summer. They also do alright on the trails.
  12. Uncle Stretch

Uncle Stretch Moderator

0   0   0

The problem with lacing a 7 speed nexus to a wide rim is you can't run an offset sprocket because of the way
    the shifter is on them. If you use a 3 speed nexus the shifter is on the end of the axle and doesn't interfere
    with the off set sprocket and will probably clear the 100mm wide rims.
  13. Rat Rod

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

Spacing between rear drop outs is 6.25"

Spacing between front drop outs is 5.75"
  14. Rat Rod

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

Actual width of rim is 4 inches.
  15. Rat Rod

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

I just want to know who will be the first one to chop one up. :mrgreen:
  16. schwinnmesa

schwinnmesa

0   0   0

I love it. That thing is a monster!
  17. Gravelo

Gravelo

0   0   0

This bike is going to get a lot of attention on the web. Seems all sorts of people are impressed and "get it" while others are out for blood. Message boards on mountain bike sites are up in arms! I love it personally. Can't wait to get one under me. Now, who will rat one out? (even a cg rendering would be amusing.)
  18. Zumo

Zumo

0   0   0

Gnarly. Is there a trike? :)
  19. Henry morgan

Henry morgan

0   0   0

Thanks Steve. For a fine run down looks like fun. Fats and bikes offers same tires
    I will give ya. 145 shipped. No. Wait. It's green. 125.
  20. Rat Rod

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

Just added an image with the measurements in the first post. :D