2013 Giveaway Get-A-Grip Bike Show

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Each year in Cleveland TN we put on a bike show called Get-A-Grip Bicycle Show, Swap Meet and Drags. It is the fourth Saturday in March of each year with this year being on March 23, 2013. Here is a copy of our T-Shirt desin for 2013. We will be selling these once they are printed at $20 each includes shipping to lower 48 states and will post when they are availible.

BestTdesignofall_zps1a937cd4.jpg

Each year we give away a custom built bike and here is a picture of the one given away last year.

DSCN0367.jpg
This year will be no different and we are currently building the bike now. We started with a 20" Columbia frame and a few parts that came with the bike. Here is a shot of the bike dissasembled.
DSCN0534_zps9d7809c3.jpg

Now that we have it apart we have a good idea of what we need and have an idea of the build. Since we put on a drag race at our show, we will build this to look like a Bobbed up Sporster race bike. First I built a tank out of wood. I took a 1X6X6 and cut it into 3 sections and glued them together to achieve the thickness I wanted. I then took cardboard and a pen and made a templet for the tank by placing it inside the frame and drawing the deminsions. I then placed the template on the wood and cut it out and smoothed it out with sandpaper until we acheived the disired look. The tank will be black and orange. I have now painted it black and here it is.
DSCN0541_zps4236c9e0.jpg

Today after we got the tank in black we will let it dry in order to mask it off tomorrow for the orange paint on the sides. We will then post our design on the side and clear over. We hope it will look something like this.
GAG2013TankBadge001_zps3b8fb8a2.jpg

We then took and bobbed the existing rear fender by cutting off parts from both ends and turning it around back words to mount and cutting out the section for the chain and gaurd. We made a new fender mount bracket to help in mounting the fender a little different and used some fake rivet bolts for a smooth look. Here is some pictures.
DSCN0537_zps9d7b151f.jpg

DSCN0544_zps49abe04b.jpg

DSCN0536_zpsacaad5c3.jpg

DSCN0547_zps2f7056fb.jpg

Okay it is a slow go. I have a full time job and I do the bike show on the side to raise money in the fight against Cancer. I also sever on the executive committee of our local American Cancer Society her in Cleveland TN. Just wanted to give you a little back ground into our show and why it is important. Last year we had a great turn out and hope to double it this year. Now back to the 2013 Build.
This is not for the faint of heart, but today I drilled speed holes into the rear fender. Boy was this a task. Take a 5/8 drill bit and it will eat your fender up in no time at all. After a few trials and failures, (granted I only had one fender to work with) I figured out it worked best to start with a 3/8 bit and then move up to a 1/2 bit and finish up with the 5/8 bit. After about 5 hours, this is what you have.
DSCN0554_zpsc78d1f8e.jpg

DSCN0553_zps26d73c62.jpg

I am going to powder coat the fender in black. I am also thinking of doing the frame in the same color, milky gray, as I did my 1935 Elgin I just finished. I will do the changaurd in black as well.
DSCN0549_zps863dbfe4.jpg

Next I laid down the orange paint on the tank that I will be placing on the bike. I will let it dry over night, scuff it up tomorrow, apply the decal and then shoot it with clear. Here it is with the sides painted orange.
DSCN0552_zps268af857.jpg

Now I needed to support the tank. I went to our local Lowe's store, (local lumber and hardware store) and picked up some 3/4 pipe clamps. I then began to modify them to work. I want to secure the tamk from the bottom so no mounting hardware can be seen. I bent the clamps in a u-shape so this will fit up under the frame and allow me to screw them to the tank. I will have one near the bottom and one closer to the top.
DSCN0555_zps18414044.jpg

DSCN0556_zps0bd24867.jpg

I buy a lot off of ebay when I can find a deal. I have ordered another back wheel and also a front. I ordered a springer front end like the ones on the krate bikes that was never used before and going to see how it looks. I thought about an OCC front end but have not decided. I do want to do something beside the stock forks. I am also thinking of runing a old School-Vintage white wall racing slick on the back 20X2.25. I have ordered a small solo seat that should look cool, but will waite until it comes i to see. I am also thinking of just running a straight bar for handle bars and should fit the bike theme well. I need to find me a goose neck as one did not come with the bike. just a little more into the build and it should start looking like something. Thanks for watching.

Awesome bike, and great fender... would you mind showing me the drills you use please!

EDIT: Never mind, thanks to you I just purchased this: :D :D :D
$T2eC16hHJHYE9nzpgIvEBQwEUvzN7w~~60_1.JPG

Hope it works! :wink:

Thanks on the comment on the bike fender. I used regular drill bits. I bought a set like you show in your picture and forgot all about them. If I can still find them, I will try them on the next set of speed holes. Thanks for the help and advice!!!!!

Alot of good things happened today. To stard with, Scotts Bicycle Shop in Cleveland TN has agreed again to be our top sponsor this year and we appreciate thier help. Doug, David, Scottie and the hole crew are great guys to work and know thier bikes!!!!

Now back to the bike build. Today I accomplished 3 things. First I needed a spacer to go between the fender and the frame. I had a piece of brass tubing that I cut and it worked great.

DSCN0560_zps4ec73914.jpg

Next I needed to finish the tank out by placing the decal on the bike and then clear coating the tank. The pictures don't even do this justice. It is flawless.

DSCN0558_zps12c77fd9.jpg

DSCN0557_zpsb2d91111.jpg

Thirdly, I did something I had been wanting to do for some time. I have seen this done on several bikes posted on here and thought it was just way to cool. So here I go to give it a shot. I went to the local Lowes store and picked up some 22 guage steel. This was not so thin that it would blow in the wind but not to thick to work with either. I cut me a template out of card board, then traced it onto the steel, cut it out then drilled to large speed holes and left the center to place the number two on the plate. I have to say this was tricky as all I had to cut the speed holes was a kit to drill holes in wood. It was slow but it worked. I then placed some modified pipe clamps to the bike to hold it and here are the pictures.

DSCN0561_zpsd711c002.jpg

DSCN0562_zpsb6e4febe.jpg

More Later,

I may ad some more speed holes to the side plate? if I do I will try the tool you suggested. I am really wanting to trace me out an old 50's style harley engine with the single head and mount on the bike. It would be a lot of work but think It might look cool. I saw a high dollar bike one time that had an engine machined out of aluminum and it was awesome. Just thinking out loud. I am at a stand still until some more parts come in. Don't forget our show this coming March 23, 2013 in Cleveland TN.

I went to the show last year and can't wait till March for this upcoming event. Oh, and i just had to comment on your current build for the show, looks awesome! Can't wait to see it in person.

Good on you for doing something for Cancer Victims, they need all the support they can get.

Loving the build, some great ideas there and I am sure it will raise a fair amount of money! Those fender holes are an inspired idea...

Luke.

Years ago, I am fixing to show my age, Hot Rod Magazine did an article called the Worlds fastest Street Rod and it was a 40 Ford 2 door sedan. The article goes on to talk about how the lowered the weight of the car in half by drilling speed holes all through out the inside of the car. If there was place for a hole they would drill one. It was a radical build but none the less it worked.

I guess by now you know I love speed holes. It is not the easiest thing to do with the metal being so thin on some of the parts of the bike. But this explains the next two pitures. I drilled 133 holes in the chain gaurd. Well you can't say the weight of the chain gaurd slows you down. Just another day of waiting on parts to come in. I was able to get a decent price on a set of goose neck handle bars and stem from a Schwinn reproduction bike yesterday off ebay. So I am waiting on a vintage front and rear S-7 rim. solo seat, new springer front end from the Krate reporduction bike and the handlebar and stem. Where else can I place some speed holes? Ha,Ha.

DSCN0564_zpsdbd9be22.jpg

DSCN0565_zps4f00cfed.jpg

Today I received the wheels I ordered off of ebay. They look great! The rear must not be a true S-7 for it has a 20X2.125 tire on it but that works out great anyway for I have a NOS Kelly Rear White Wall Slick still wriapped in the original plastic I am wanting to use.
DSCN0567_zpse15a469d.jpg

DSCN0570_zpse0c4a9d7.jpg

I purchased a seat for my 35 Elgin I just finished for I thought the original one was too large. But anyway I was just playing around and placed it on the bike and it didn't look half bad? But it willl be saved for the elgin.
DSCN0569_zps26750103.jpg

I am haveing so much fun with this build, I think I am going to build me one out a 26 inch frame. I am supposed to pick up the frame this Saturday and I already have the 26" springer front end that I will use.
DSCN0571_zps1199ffd6.jpg

I am hoping the springer front end for this bike comes in today. Until then. . . . . . . . . .

I guess we have all had our battles with the postal service. The springer front fork was supposed to arrive at my house on Monday January 7, 2013. The seller gave me a tracking number and have been tracking it along. However when it arrived in Warrendale PA apparently someone has stuck it underneath a table for it has not moved since its arrival. So i guess today I will be playing phone tag with the postal service to see if they can find and ship it on my way. Still waiting in TN.

I thought this bike might look familiar to you. I see you got my flyer in the mail. Hope to see you back at the show this year. The good news USPS says the springer is on the truck to be dilivered today and this morning I was able to get a white wall front tire for the s-7 front wheel on ebay this morning at a good price so I now have both front and rear white wall tires. I hope to get some free time to work a little on the bike this weekend to take it a step closer. I am still waiting on the ape hangers and stem. Thanks for everyones interest. I will be heading off to the World of Wheels in Chattanooga TN after work to hand out a few flyers. If anyone is close look me up.

I placed the order on the T-shirts yesterday and they will print this coming Monday. They will be printed on a high qualtiy Gildan 100% cotton Black T. I will be taking orders via paypal, $20 free shipping for Small through Extra Large (each shirt) and $23 free shipipng for 2X (each shirt). I will ship only to the lower 48 states, let me know if you have questions regarding the lower 48 states. I have only ordered 150 and will go fast. Send me an email and I can send you my paypal acocount name.

Glad I saw this build! I was hoping we had some Tennessee folks on here! Cya in March and can't wait!

Latest posts

Back