2009 Electra Rat Rod 3 vs Bicycle Blue Book Prices

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I'm new to modern bikes, my last purchase was a Trek 930 back in 1999. I found a 2009 Electra Rat Rod 3 for sale on craigslist and there aren't many other examples of this particular bike for sale, even on ebay. However, I can find a price on the bicycle blue book site located here:

https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/searchlistingdetail.aspx?id=3033961

That site lists the price at 125 maximum, however the asking price is 325 dollars. That seems like a wild difference to me and leaves me with no idea what I should be offering.

Is the blue book site fairly accurate, or are there any other sites out there one can use for comparison shopping for used bike prices besides ebay? Or perhaps someone just knows about what this bike should be. Thanks for any help! Below is a picture of the bike for sale. (note the $325 is without the speakers on the rear rack)

00L0L_kFFYJQ7c90J_600x450.jpg

Bicycle blue book is crap.. they use a generic algorithm to judge value.

These are getting harder to find, $300 would be my top offer if I was looking for one here in Cali. and it was super clean. Any higher than that you can go vintage.

But $125 would be a steal!! :43:

I'm rarely drawn to Electra's style, so I don't track what they are running at on CL around here very much. This one popped up locally today, same basic bike (imo, better looking :grin:)...for $200 asking. Seems like a fair starting point.

00x0x_42DvPsiHbZo_1200x900.jpg

https://salem.craigslist.org/bik/d/2007-electra-rally-sport-3/6254553357.html

I want to reach into the picture and untweak that front fender, however...:bigsmile:
Jason

As previously stated the blue book pricing is a shot in the dark. It is useful too see how much a bike you're interested in cost when it was new.

My personal rule for buying a bike like this is that I don't go over half what it cost when it was new, if it still looks new. Which would put me in the $250 range for this one. If it doesn't still look new, I'm going to want it cheaper.

If it's a one year bike (which the Rat Rod isn't) and it's super hard to find... and I want it... sure, I'll break my own rule and pay a bit more... maybe even pay too much. But if I wanted it for my collection... Who cares?

I had a Rat Rod in my collection that I bought along with a Black Betty that I paid $300 for the pair. I used them a couple seasons and passed them on to a friend for what I paid for them.

As previously stated the blue book pricing is a shot in the dark. It is useful too see how much a bike you're interested in cost when it was new.

My personal rule for buying a bike like this is that I don't go over half what it cost when it was new, if it still looks new. Which would put me in the $250 range for this one. If it doesn't still look new, I'm going to want it cheaper.

If it's a one year bike (which the Rat Rod isn't) and it's super hard to find... and I want it... sure, I'll break my own rule and pay a bit more... maybe even pay too much. But if I wanted it for my collection... Who cares?

I had a Rat Rod in my collection that I bought along with a Black Betty that I paid $300 for the pair. I used them a couple seasons and passed them on to a friend for what I paid for them.
That certainly makes sense for modern bikes, but if you find a new looking unrestored Autocycle for less than 5 times the original price, BUY IT NOW! :grin:

Latest posts

Back