2000 Orange Heavy Duti

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MazdaFlyer

Like “RadioFlyer”
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found a Schwinn Heavy Duty/Duti on Craig’s List. Think it’s a one year orange from 2000 so not real old or ratty. Kinda weird in that some of the blue protective wrap is still on it in places and some tape residue. It needs a cleanup after which it should look pretty good for its 21 years.
592ca61a853fb2c456ffbc47bc1c140f.jpg

5da069d0432e458c7c404477e44c1ded.jpg

e59f87a646c4ead730c765eaaca9496e.jpg

957b03a96fca2e783fd487633e8f5297.jpg

946f474e7d132ab1dad70dcdeecd2482.jpg

Nice! I like the straight bar ones better than the canti ones. I've never seen one in Safety Orange, they're usually black and yellow. I want one. Bad.

I’ve seen yellow, black, black and yellow. I’d never seen the orange either. It caught my eye upon seeing the listing. The “HEAVY DUTI” catalog image is from the 2000 catalog. When zooming in on the image the cross bar says “ HEAVY DUTY”, the ad says “HEAVY DUTI”. The serial is 0850 so they must have made a few, ought to be more out there.

I bought a Schwinn Moab Disc in 2000, it is similar orange and white.
639de9c742690749840fcbaf00c2a26a.jpg
715f240cc56a3ff709e74d70eae5d21a.jpg

Last edited:
I looked the Heavy Duti over more closely this morning. Not sure about it’s history but I’d say it had been in original box for quite a while. The blue protective coating they put on SS parts was actually still on some areas and residue under fender screws. The rear fender is assembled wrong. There’s some adhesive residue on the fenders from the protective plastic film. There is some tape residue in a couple of spots on frame which says to me it was there long enough to dry out and left residue when unpacked. Don’t think it ever went through a bike shop. Tires and chain don’t show wear. It had a lot of garage dust and grit on it and some storage scuffs.
Supposedly the sellers mom had purchased it and it was too big for her. The seat was way down. The compactness of it would be helped with a lay back seat post.
68fd97daeb2148cd8b4c50cc86f6c77a.jpg

9a4d9a12257f1752ee73667f9c918e26.jpg

Last edited:
I
81D7AAA2-F619-4D54-BF6D-89C2DA4784A4.jpeg
F6813410-7235-47D4-9C77-CF9106178B49.jpeg

This is my heavy duti. 1st photo is when i got it and now. I have the original parts i removed should i want to put it back. Great features like the heavy duty spokes, solid stainless fenders, oversize stem, seat post and possible cromo fork. The frames are well built. Yours looks great and the first i’ve seen like it. I always wondered if the frames were welded in Taiwan as the welds look much better than the 2 chinese built schwinns in the family. Does yours have any markings as to where its made?

Last edited:
IView attachment 150042View attachment 150043
This is my heavy duti. 1st photo is when i got it and now. The frames are well built. Yours looks great and the first i’ve seen like it. I always wondered if the frames were welded in Taiwan as the welds look much better than the 2 chinese built schwinns in the family. Does yours have any markings as to where its made?

Nice one you have.
Sticker under headbadge says “Made in Taiwan” on mine.
I see you’ve done some personalization. I usually do the same, I’ll probably leave this one stock. Might add a bell, increase the rear cog size, might ride OK on factory floor but a little cumbersome on our slightly hilly street.

Last edited:
Thanks for confirming that. The rear cog is the same as those used on the nexus hubs. I’d prefer black wheels but i used them on my 51 panther. Mine has a front brake as all bikes sold in Australia have to have one. It had been used a fair bit before i got it and the pedals and crank were damaged. I like the feel with the longhorn bars. Its good on dirt trails and my wife rides it too so i fitted a rack for her to pickup six packs for me!

Changed out the seat post today and did a few other tweaks.
83ac362ea487bec50a529d2002a3576a.jpg

738adf378c6540cd07720d7abe6ce248.jpg

70406f23403f12b730d2f054b940bc86.jpg

Bike looks awesome! Digging the orange on this frame.
I love mine, these frames are ‘just right’ for me size wise. As mentioned, the welds are decent, the geometry works for the street, even light trails.

Mine has become my ‘ready to go at anytime’ rider.
I could see me building one or two more to have in the stable for family/friends to ride.
In fact, I may paint my next one orange...[emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I have Heavy Duty plans too. I'd like to see how this one would look with that shock @MazdaFlyer put on the Harley bicycle. However, I'm wondering if the uniqueness of this version, along with the pristine condition move it into the survivor category, something to be preserved.

Bike looks awesome! Digging the orange on this frame.
I love mine, these frames are ‘just right’ for me size wise. As mentioned, the welds are decent, the geometry works for the street, even light trails.

Mine has become my ‘ready to go at anytime’ rider.
I could see me building one or two more to have in the stable for family/friends to ride.
In fact, I may paint my next one orange...[emoji6]
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thinking it could be a go to street cruiser...just get on it and go for a spin. I plan to clean it up, detail it. The orange popped for me...hooked me. The black finished parts are probably the weak link as far as quality goes.
Yeah, I have Heavy Duty plans too. I'd like to see how this one would look with that shock @MazdaFlyer put on the Harley bicycle. However, I'm wondering if the uniqueness of this version, along with the pristine condition move it into the survivor category, something to be preserved.
Yep I think it deserves to stay as it is...survivor it is. It’s original once. Still plan to add a larger cog on back to ease up pedaling. I might change out the tires to something a little smoother rolling. From what I’ve seen it was a one year color.
I don’t have any rat or custom aspirations for it at this point. Taiwan made but presents its self well.

Last edited:
I removed the rear wheel and reset the fender correctly. Now the stay notches in the fender are in the right place. Also got the wheel centered up and chain tension adjusted. That seemed to help pedaling effort. I forgot to count the cog teeth, think it’s 21T though. Not sure if there’s a 24T available, I’ve had a 23T.

Last edited:
I removed the rear wheel and reset the fender correctly. Now the stay notches in the fender are in the right place. Also got the wheel centered up and chain tension adjusted. That seemed to help pedaling effort. I forgot to count the cog teeth, think it’s 21T though. Not sure if there’s a 24T available, I’ve had a 23T.
It should have a 22t rear cog. 23t is the highest available as far as i know. Don’t be fussed its made in Taiwan. Taiwan makes some of the best bikes available today. Also, I have to agree with Dr.Tankenstein, these are a very comfortable bike to ride.

Latest posts

Back