2 Wheel Drive Bike?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone want to know if any of you know of a bike like in his question below.

I know it's a long shot, but there was a bicycle sold in the late 1970s at toy/discount stores that had a flexible shaft assembly that powered the front wheel, thus making a 2 wheel drive bike. I recall seeing them at Hills Department Store, a defunct discount chain in Pennsylvania.

Does anyone remember them, and if so, does anyone remember who made 'em?

To be clear, I am NOT talking about the Jeep Rubicon or any post-1980 bicycles. The one I am thinking of was definitely 1970s and definitely discount store variety.

Then again, I might be hallucinating.

Rokon's been around awhile, but they aren't exactly pedal-bikes. :wink:

20040417rallyloonmtnnh0998_.JPG

http://www.moosetrophy.com 8)

Christini is a company I was going to mention. My friend has a beefy 2-whl-drv dirtbike from them. That patent on the other bike looks like it basically incorporates a weedeater shaft inside a large flexible cable housing.

I want one bad! In the winter when we get snowed in as soon as the frnt wheel washes out no forward motion. if the front was pulling it wouldn't happen like that.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

XC204 said:
I want one bad! In the winter when we get snowed in as soon as the frnt wheel washes out no forward motion. if the front was pulling it wouldn't happen like that.]

Studded prevent that from happening on ice and hard pack. I have mine mounted on an extra set of wheels so changing them out is a breeze.

2 wheel drive motorbikes have always intrigued me, bicycles too, but not as much, I was just looking at that site with the conversion kit, here is what they say about a 2wd bicycle, I have highlighted the areas that I don't neccessarily agree with:

"Two Wheel Drive bicycle technology - A timely idea

The two wheel drive bicycle is an idea whose time has arrived. We call it 2 WD Tech, two wheel drive technology. Utilizing both wheels to propel the bicycle is an advance in bicycle engineering that increases the rider’s pedaling efficiency making it a better machine, a true vehicle for work or recreation. In addition to improved efficiency, this bicycle accessory also makes the bike easier to ride in almost all conditions, wet surfaces (such as slick or slippery rain), gravel, mud, sand, loose dirt, rocks and any unstable terrain. Two drive increases the rider’s maneuverability and hill climbing and descent. It also enhances safety by improving braking ability and overall control.

New technology - advanced bicycle engineering

This is new technology that allows the bicycle to become a more useful transportation tool. The rider can more easily transport loads or carry significantly more gear. This ease allows the rider to carry greater amounts of materials as needed or desired. The enhance handling and control makes it easier to manage in traffic on the road or in urban conditions.

Two Wheel Drive bicycle conversions kits

Almost any bicycle can be converted to two wheel status by the riding enthusiast. The conversion kit offers a bicycle accessory that includes detailed instruction to guide conversion from start to finish. Once completed you will never want to ride any other way. "

Yeah, when I was younger and more energetic, some of the terrain/surfaces I rode on would eat your face with even a hint of front brake, while requiring modulation out back. I doubt the over-all efficiency claim as well, there's good reasons on-road 4wd vehicles have 2wd capabilities. :| Still a neat idea that probably works quite well in certain conditions, such as powering through wet mud or snow, or on some low traction surfaces.

deorman said:
Yeah, when I was younger and more energetic, some of the terrain/surfaces I rode on would eat your face with even a hint of front brake, while requiring modulation out back. I doubt the over-all efficiency claim as well, there's good reasons on-road 4wd vehicles have 2wd capabilities. :| Still a neat idea that probably works quite well in certain conditions, such as powering through wet mud or snow, or on some low traction surfaces.

I agree, but I think they are really reaching. The kit price doesn't seem bad at $150, but I think their best bet would be to sell it to an existing company that would mass produce 2wd bikes and sell them through Wally World. :|

Not sure I believe all the claims from 2WD Tech, The system adds more moving parts, how does that improve a riders pedaling efficiency. And how can a 2WD system enhance braking by improving braking ability (there's a statement that is subject to interpretation). That's like saying a 4wd car brakes better than the equivalent 2wd car. Are they saying it improves the riders or the bike's ability to brakes? I just dont see how it can improve either since it has no parts associated with braking, except that it increases drag..

I dont doubt you may get better traction in some terrain but (IMHO) some of those claims just sound too good to be true and you know what can often mean.....

Cman in slushy or tire smutz snow even the nokians I have let the front wash out thats why I would love to have a Christini with the shaft drive. Oh for better braking maybe the Fixy 2wd :roll:

XC204 said:
Cman in slushy or tire smutz snow even the nokians I have let the front wash out thats why I would love to have a Christini with the shaft drive. Oh for better braking maybe the Fixy 2wd :roll:

Ahhh.... I know exactly what you are talking about. I call the brown sugar snow. Messy stuff that is hard to keep tracking straight in.

Murray you could send that up to Cman or myself as you feel sorry for us traipsing through the snow to get to work!

These bikes are awesome, I'm glad the guy asked that question.

There is a video on youtube of one like in that photo bit it was missing the cable.

I think these (cable-drive) 2WD bikes have been asked about here before, I'm almost certain I responded.

The guy who invented them lives in a town nearby, so I got to read stories in the newspaper every few years about his efforts.

Local bike shops did have them for a short time, but they didn't sell well. It was basically a $100-$150 wal-mart-quality bike with a few extra parts, but priced at $300-$400. As a collectors item its still neat, but it didn't compare well to other similar-priced bikes at the time.

I test-rode one in some mud puddles behind a LBS. The 2WD did definitely work, but you had to be cranking hard in low gear and in very slippery conditions to get any benefit. The drive cable spun all the time and was rather draggy; it was "like" a weedwacker cord but it was about 3X as fat. If there would have been a way to disengage it when not needed the whole thing would have been a lot more interesting. Plus the necessary parts felt rather flexy in use and the plastic gears were exposed, leading many to wonder how long they'd last.

Latest posts

Back