2 or 3 speed hub for a 64 Typhoon?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I'm new to the site (a lot of talented people here, wow) and new to building bikes. I recently purchased a 1964 Schwinn Typhoon and I want to put a 2 or three speed hub on it. I would like to use a suicide shifter with it. What are my best and cheapest options? It has 26" S7 wheels if that's of help. I would like to keep a coaster breake if that's even possible. Thanks in advance for your time.

Well, you really have 2 choices: either buy a rear wheel with a 3-speed hub in it, or install/have installed the hub of your choice in the rear wheel you have.

You probably can find an S-7 wheel with a Sturmey-Archer 3-speed or 2-speed kickback from someone here or at thecabe.com if you keep looking. There were certainly enough produced. Or you can buy a new wheel from any number of vendors. However, a new wheel will likely be a standard 559mm 26" wheel (the cruiser and MTB standard size), it won't be the same size as the Schwinn-specific S-7, and it will not take the same size 26" tire. There are several different, non-interchangeable sizes called 26" (not getting into that now), so be aware of what you're buying.

Or, as I said, you can buy a 3-speed hub. There are a lot out there, and both Sturmey Archer and Shimano still make new ones, with and without coaster brakes. You can also buy a new 2-speed from S-A, but since that's a kick-back shift, you wouldn't have a hand shifter of any sort. With your new/used hub in hand, you can have a bike shop lace it into you bike's current rear wheel. Or, if you're up to the challenge, you can lace it up yourself. It isn't complicated, but it can be tedious, especially if it's all new to you. But there are several good how-tos online, youtube videos, etc that can walk you through it.

Latest posts

Back