2 junk pile freebies

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Picked these up out of a junk pile last weekend and have no idea what they are.

The first is a 20 inch frame with big bmx bars in the schwinn stem that have been together for a while. Other than that I cant find any markings or numbers.
foundcruisers002.jpg

foundcruisers006.jpg

foundcruisers005.jpg

The other frame is quickly becoming one of my favorites.

foundcruisers009.jpg

foundcruisers010.jpg

This is a small frame, the same size as the 20 incher.
foundcruisers011.jpg

Turns out 26's fit not problem.
foundcruisers008.jpg

foundcruisers007.jpg

Anybody got any ideas on either bikes true identity?

The top one looks to be a Murray the rear drop outs are the givaway ,if you want to get rid of the Schwinn stem let me know, thanks, and the sprocket on the other frame is a Schwinn, the more I look at it ,I think it is a Schwinn ,look for numbers on the rear drop out, I'm thinking early sixties.

The Schwinn is an early 60's frame, only made like that, twin straight bar, for a couple years. The serial number on the left dropout will pinpoint the year.

According to the sales lists, it could also be a Flying Star. It, and the Skipper first came out in 61. Before that, it's only a Tornado or deluxe Tornado with that frame. Cool frame.

Wildcat said:
According to the sales lists, it could also be a Flying Star. It, and the Skipper first came out in 61. Before that, it's only a Tornado or deluxe Tornado with that frame. Cool frame.

Flying Star...thats the one I couldnt think of!

I have a 20" version of this frame from 59. Love these frames!

Gold Street Customs said:
The top one looks to be a Murray the rear drop outs are the givaway ,if you want to get rid of the Schwinn stem let me know, thanks, and the sprocket on the other frame is a Schwinn, the more I look at it ,I think it is a Schwinn ,look for numbers on the rear drop out, I'm thinking

Seeing as I found the two bikes together, is there any chance that the Schwinn stem on the Murray actually belongs to the Schwinn frame?

Georgeediii said:
The top one looks to be a Murray the rear drop outs are the givaway ,if you want to get rid of the Schwinn stem let me know, thanks, and the sprocket on the other frame is a Schwinn, the more I look at it ,I think it is a Schwinn ,look for numbers on the rear drop out, I'm thinking

Seeing as I found the two bikes together, is there any chance that the Schwinn stem on the Murray actually belongs to the Schwinn frame?

ya. looks like someone swapped em..

Georgeediii said:

Not all things are how they seem , the Schwinn stem is for a later bmx style, the one you need would not be stamped like that and chrome.

69dime said:
Isn't that a huffy chainwheel?

They say it is Murry. I do not profess to be any expert, but I do have a 20" Huffy roughly 1971-72 vintage that does in fact have that same crank sprocket, and the design at the top of the forks is the same as well complete with the chrome cap. I wish there was a close up shot of where the headbadge is secures to the frame, perhaps the outline of an old Huffy badge might be left behind. Yes, I too thought the one was a Huffy myself.

A couple of close ups, but no sign of a badge outline...
bikes023.jpg

bikes024.jpg

If you want to findout exactly what those bikes are, you need give us the serial numbers. The Murray number could be on the dropouts or under the crank at the bottom of the frame.

I think the Schwinn might be on the headtube.

I think the Schwinn is probably a TORNADO...the majority of these frames were "badged" as such.Its not a SKIPPER as these frames were
not "split" at the seat post but were connected and went all the way down to the rear stays...at least that was how it was explained to me
when I got my 24" SKIPPER (work in progress).Also... I was told that the SKIPPER was made in '61 only as was its girly counterpart the "DEBBY" as those names did not market well at all so they weren't used in '62...that's how it was explained to me...PAPPY 8)

Latest posts

Back