19PENNYSAVER71 (LAST UPDATE 07/31 FINAL DETAILS)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 19PENNYSAVER71 (UPDATE 5/30)

I keep going back to page 4 to look at this photo, so I thought I'd bring it here to make it easier on me.

IMAG0087.jpg

Re: 19PENNYSAVER71 (UPDATE 06/04)

Not much of an update I have been busy with a few other things and my wife and I celebrating our 1st anniversary. But I did get a chance to restore the chain the bike had when I bought it. I used a method that some of you may know about and some may not. Check it out and let me know what you think. Warning viewer discretion is adviced!!!!

IMAG0096.jpg

You ask yourself, "What in the world is that?" Well I shall tell you that it is my chain completely submerged in white vinegar. It had been soaking for five days and that is what it looks like. I know vinegar is an acid and I do believe it eats the rust away hence why the white vinegar has a rusty color to it. BTW this stuff stinks after five days of soaking.

IMAG0097.jpg

I should have taken a picture before I submerged the chain in the vinegar but trust me when I say that it was so rusty that the links would not bend and were very stiff from all the rust. Here is the chain after I drained the rusty vinegar and it already looks 10 times better than what it did when I first started.
IMAG0098.jpg

Here you can see side by side comparison after i dried the chain and started wire brushing it, and with not much of an effort.

IMAG0100.jpg

Here is the chain after I wire brushed the whole thing and it looks great. I sprayed it with some light spray oil to keep the rust out. That is it for today I hope to have more progress done in the next few weeks.
IMAG0101.jpg

IMAG0102.jpg

I've vinegared chains to get them rideable again, but I never made that that pretty with vinegar. Sweet!

The vinegar "trick" always amazes me. And I salute you sir for reusing that old chain instead of going out and buying a new one 8)

So I heard you had a bent frame, but someone straightened it out for you, and heard there's other things going on as well... care to share? :D

yoothgeye said:
So I heard you had a bent frame, but someone straightened it out for you, and heard there's other things going on as well... care to share? :D

Yup it has been a few stressful weeks for me and my frame. Found out after I installed the rear tire that the bars that drop down to the rear tire were bent so I have been on a halt waiting to take the frame to my friends house (yoothgeye) who lives in NC so that I could have him help me since I dont have the right tools to do the job. Long story short he was out of town this weekend and his dad ended up helping me fix the frame "Thank you AD". Just got back home tonight and this week I have some touching up to do on the frame and I can finish clearing the frame and back to putting parts back together. I should have some pics this week with the new progress.

Just got the story from Yoothgeye's dad tonight...

He said after an hr or so of messing around with the drop outs and straightening all the visiable damage he refit the wheel only to find it looked exactly as it did before (Tire hugging the right upper drop down bar up towards the seat and chain line off in left field). It was at this point that he noticed what looked like a non factory bend just in front of the bottom bracket (lower tube to headset). Here he thought ~ wow placing the bottom bracket in the vice and bending that lower tube could really screw things up. But on the other hand it is not rideable now. So he went for it anyway and with htat minor tweak the entire geometry came back into spec wheel to drop outs chain line ect...

YoothGeye's dad is retirement age (but still working) and has been a life long Old School metal worker in the HVAC trade. The stuff he can do with metal using your basic hand tools (hammer / dolly / anvil / shears) is unreal.

Re: 19PENNYSAVER71 (UPDATE 5/30)

nelvolks said:
Ok so I really wish that I had a rusty ole springer fork but since I don't and after looking for a few weeks I just decided that I would buy a new one and figure something out to make it look rusty and ratty. BTW anyone have any ideas I am open for suggestions.
IMAG0083.jpg

Here it is after install and man do I love the look it is exactly what I had in my mind. Now I just need to make it look rusty.
IMAG0082.jpg

NelVolks ~ Just as Vinegar takes the rust away a mild salt water solution thru a spray bottle ~ spary painting the fork with the solution for a few days will make rust magically appear. Just be careful as the China parts tend to keep on rusting and often degrade much faster then expected.

Whitfield said:
YoothGeye's dad is retirement age (but still working) and has been a life long Old School metal worker in the HVAC trade. The stuff he can do with metal using your basic hand tools (hammer / dolly / anvil / shears) is unreal.

Exactly! My dad is awesome, I've been doing some stuff on my build that dad would've had done in a fraction of the time. He has a really good philosophy about things, like he did with Nelson's frame, "It's already broken, so why not go for it." Didn't get to see him Sunday on Father's Day, but he was the first one I called. I'm very thankful for him and that I grew up learning to do for myself from him. I'm not the perfectionist he is at things, but he sure instilled alot of "try" in me.

Re: 19PENNYSAVER71 (SHES BACK WITH UPDATE 06/21)

So after a few weeks on hold due to frame issues I am back and I was able to catch up and do some work on my bike. Here you can see how the frame was bent which would not allow the rear tire to be centered and would rub really bad to the side.
IMAG0089.jpg

With yoothgeye's dad who helped me I was able to fix the frame and it is straight and now everything looks good and fits perfect. Here is the bike after I had to do some resanding, repainting, and then more flat clear coats but I was able to get it back to where I last had it which I was really happy with.
IMAG0126.jpg

Today I took the handlebars and cleaned them up and polished them with BlueMagic which I have been using for years and works great for polishing any metal.
IMAG0127.jpg

Here it is after the handlebars and stem have been installed.
IMAG0131.jpg

IMAG0132.jpg

Next was the Stewart Warner speedometer install.
IMAG0134.jpg

I know how I want to install it and if you can see here that is the basic idea and all I have to do is make a bracket to mount it.
IMAG0135.jpg

IMAG0136.jpg

That is it for tonight I am trying to get as much work as I can with the time that I have. I hope you guys really dig the way it is turning out, let me know what you all think.

Re: 19PENNYSAVER71 (SHES BACK WITH AN UPDATE 06/21)

Looks great, and glad it's back... kind of, this one is a vote stealer.

yoothgeye said:
Looks great, and glad it's back... kind of, this one is a vote stealer.

Likewise to you your bike is looking awesome!!!! I love the stance and colors you chose and the way your fork turned out.

ChrisMac said:
LOVE IT! Absolutely love it. Question though, If you're polishing the bars and stem, why "patina" the fork? A little old and a little new works well on this build.
I thought about it but after looking at the bike I decided I would leave the fork the way it is. After that is when I decided to polished the handlebars and stem. I do agree with you 100% old and new is working well on this bike. Thanks for the comments...

Latest posts

Back