1997 Dyno-Glide Taxi---DONE and riding!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had planned on riding the bike today, but I hit a snag. The new chain was too short, by more than 8 inches. So, I tried the long chain from my Hawthorne with a 52 tooth chain wheel and 22 tooth cog, and it was too short! I didn't have enough matching links to add, so I'll have to get another new chain. But it's almost there.
The rear wheel is original I believe, but the dropouts are too wide, the hub needs at least an inch of spacers. The dropouts are at an angle if I tighten it up like it came. Maybe I'm missing something.
Then the seat collar snapped, and all the shop had was a quick release collar in that size. Seats are stolen quite a bit here, thieves just open it and take the seat and stem. I replaced the release handle with 2 nuts from my spares and it works well.
DSCI0036.JPG

The cheap kickstand actually worked like it was made for it!
DSCI0034.JPG

DSCI0035.JPG

I got the chain done and tuned everything for an initial ride. Nice and comfortable, perfect if it had some gears. So, it's done unless some Dyno handlebars and seat show up. maybe some thickslicks when these tires give out.

DSCI0059 - Copy.JPG

DSCI0060.JPG

DSCI0063.JPG

DSCI0064.JPG

The gearing is great for the inclines here, but 46/22 seems lower than I remember.
DSCI0060 - Copy.JPG

Any other Dyno owners have the same ratio?

I thought the hub wasn't wide enough for the dropouts although it looks like an original hub, but maybe it was changed out.

I'm getting ready to try a pair of 3.0 Beach Bums on it, so it wasn't quite done yet, as usual.

Now my deal for the Big Apples is working out too! I have 4 27.5 new tires bought on special that I'm trading for a pair of used (very little) Big Apples. They are 26 x 2.40. The guy with the tires has bikes that are 27.5 lucky for me. I just happened to be at Walmart as they were marking down the tires.
So, I'll try both sets, but stay with the Schwalbes because the big tires are for my build off bike.

46/22 seems lower than I remember. Any other Dyno owners have the same ratio?
I believe 46-22 (2.09) was standard - with a Shimano E-110 coaster brake; perhaps the multiple speed options may have had other ratios. I have bought GT chain-wheels in 42, 43, 44, 45, but those may have been from BXM, MBT or comfort bikes. There is a generic chrome 44T that looks similar to the 46T, which I once needed after switching the rear to a 24T (not enough links!).
I use a 43-23 with a Shimano Nexus 3-speed; (needed 2 extra arms to help fit that wide a hub).

Thanks, it's the right wheel then, E-110 coaster brake.

I'll bet your low gear can go up a mountain!

Both Dyno duece I started with came w E-110s.

And I like that ride Wild! I TOO went a Schwalbe Big Apple. Although untested as of yet, (I am still building my front end) it seems a real solid tire
20170508_175540.jpg

barely fit the chain stays
Additional chain links might provide a couple extra mm's clearance.
I didn't have enough matching links to add
Two links would move axle/hub back about 1/2" in the drop-outs; a half-link about 1/4". Could a longer chain cause other problems? With a 24T cog, I found that the back end of my chain-guard did not interfere, except when installing/removing the wheel.

On the Dyno, there's no extra room between the 22 cog and rear of the chain guard.

Latest posts

Back