1997 Dyno-Glide Taxi---DONE and riding!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I just got this and am going to put it back as close to original as I can. There's no seat, handlebars, or handle stem. Everything else is there and, with the exception of the original tires, looks to be in good shape. If the whole thing cleans up like the serial number did, with a wet paper towel, then this is going to be easy. The bike license expired in 1999, so it's possible this thing sat for more than 15 years. The pedals aren't damaged and there's no play in the crank or head bearings. Same goes for the wheel bearings, and the wheels are straight.
DSCI0073.JPG

DSCI0083.JPG

DSCI0076.JPG

Last edited:
I'll start with plain dish soap, then get the good stuff if needed.
I wonder if I should just wax it or if there's a good clearcoat that doesn't get cloudy.

I'd just wax it.
The only clear I can think of is the 2K clear that Eastwood sells. It's a bit more than Rust-Oleum.

I'd just wax it.
The only clear I can think of is the 2K clear that Eastwood sells. It's a bit more than Rust-Oleum.
Agreed, if the clear turns cloudy, there's a lot of work, if possible, to get the finish good again.

Looks like a '97? Clues are the decal on the head tube, versus an aluminum badge, and the 97 serial number (pre Questor Partners/Schwinn).
I believe yours is a 20-year old bike.
Not sure if original tires and tubes have a date marking.
Dyno seats come up time to time; Velo was maker and might still make similar seats.
Fork is 1" not 1-1/8"; not sure about stem (21 or 22mm); Dyno BXM piston-style stems are available. Dyno bars come up time to time (those below may be from a member):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dyno-D-Stamped-Bars-/172604172500
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dyno-D-Stamped-Bars-/172604171570
The original 2-bolt stem with 1" clamp was used with shims to grip the 7/8" bars.
Similar bars are available with 1" clamp area.

Last edited:
Thanks Phil. I'm fairly confident of 97. I had a couple of nice Dyno-glides and a Roadster frame in Florida. This looks to be the nicest one yet.
When I take the tires off, I'll look for numbers, but they are very dry rotted. It looks like the tread pattern is fairly common, the other tires I got were the same pattern. I'm going for original looking as possible.

I think all my whitewalls aren't roadworthy. Checking the bike sites, Sunlite and Cheng Shin make the same tread pattern on a whitewall today, so I'll probably be able to match up the tires. The LBS has a bunch of Electra handlebars and seats, so that might be the way to go.
shopping

Yes - I see that it was already dated in another post. One 1997 frame is the earliest model that I have seen, in-person. I have seen a few other pictures online that show some models, perhaps earlier, with seat stays which continue to the end of the rear drop outs (to the end of the frame). Those seat stays would impede the installation of fender braces. Later models have shorter seat stays, long enough to reach the drop-outs with pre-drilled and tapped (5mm) holes for the fender brace fastener hardware. Fenders were usually offered on the deluxe/special models.

There were a pair of black fenders there in the pile I thought might go with it, but it doesn't look like anything was ever bolted to the dropouts on this bike, in fact, the wheel may never have been taken off.
DSCI0076.JPG

Today I tore it apart and began the cleanup. I do have 2 good tires that will work of the ones I picked up, both the originals are completely shot, can't even read anything on them.
Everything came apart easily. I thought maybe it had never been worked on, but the rear axle nuts had wrench marks. Looks like Dyno had their own cogs.

DSCI0116.JPG

DSCI0117 - Copy.JPG

I stuck a seat and handlebars on it right before I dismantled it.
DSCI0114.JPG

Well, I probably won't find original parts, but if I do I'll grab them. I'm not waiting for Dyno parts to go riding. I went to the LBS to see what they had in Electra parts. I need an extra half hour just looking at the new Electras they have in the storeroom first. The new Electra 1's are only $275, but all I need are a stem, handlebars and seat.
They had a pair of chrome bars that were good, but not the same big half moon like the Dynos had. No stems, but they will order up a bunch because they want them in stock. The Electra seats looked good, but the ones in my price range all had cherries and flowers on them. They will be getting more of those too. The pair of thick slicks on sale were still there from last month, tempting, but the Dyno came with whitewalls and I have 4 good ones. For grips, I saw a pair of Electra skull grips for 15 bucks, and a pair of Sunlite for 12 bucks that were the same exact pair. So I actually bought something.
DSCI0120.JPG

I spent 3 hours today on cleaning. No waxing yet, I'm done for the day.
The Dyno front wheel has a metal rusty hub, so it was changed out with the Weinman rim that came with the deal. It's almost a perfect match for the real one. I scrubbed the whitewalls with dish soap, just like the wheels and frame. There are 2 good tires, different tread. The original tires had never been changed, they were stuck to the rims but the original tubes hold air.

DSCI0126.JPG

DSCI0127.JPG

Looks like Dyno had their own cogs.
Its a Shimano 22-tooth, with lightening holes (and the E-110 coaster brake).
Shimano makes a similar cog with 23-teeth; (Sturmey Archer makes a 24T).
With a typical Dyno 46-tooth in front it made about a ~2.1 ratio.

Last edited:
I was thinking about going to the arts and crafts places to see if they had checkered tape, but looking at the bike now, I can see the outline of the checkers, so I may fill them in with a sharpie to see how that looks, or get a small bottle of testors model paint and use a fine brush.

That seems like a low gear, but my white and black Dyno was the same way and worked well. I put 3" tires on it.
Dyno09.jpg

Latest posts

Back