1990's Micmo beach Cruiser "L'Aquitaine" with AirRide

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. I'm starting a new build. Well actually I started it two weeks ago, but nevermind! I finally found a cruiser frame, wich is quite hard to find 'round here without smashing the piggy bank. So anyway I plan on doing a full on Lowrider, I know it's not that original, but I've always dreamt about one. The name comes from the department in the south of France.

The Beast :
cxgZJoG.jpg

I began tearing stuff off before bringing it home, didn't want anymore useless parts. The bike is a Micmo beach, for those of you who don't know them, Micmo was a cheap brand that used the Gitane factories. They produced general store quality bikes, and apparently had a cruiser in their line-up. This particular model is in not so bad condition, but needs a lot of work.

The Plan
1qNEH75.jpg

Here's my initial plan for that thing. Using thin sheet metal, fill in these gaps, then body filler and paint. The frame will need a ton of work, because the strange geometry and all around weird technical choices like canti placement are a pain. I plan on using these surfaces for an airbrush job, I don't know yet.

9Rw5Zv0.jpg

Made In France putain!

Then this happens.
NwvKDPb.jpg

Extreme surgery was required to get a 15 INCHES seatpost. Like who used this bike? A giant?

An old frame was then used as a tube source to rebuild the cruiser.
q7a1KUM.jpg

Fg30x8Y.jpg

xSKx1yq.jpg

Frame saved! :thumbsup:

The parts:
MBAF1pI.jpg

I can't afford stuff from across the sea, so parts come from a German website. Here we have a V handlebar, fat fenders and a shorty sissybar. I wasn't that sure on parts, I gotta say it took me a while to put my mind on these.

LU90yLT.jpg

Then I bought a bent springer... Err a jigsaw!

I had to find correct bolts, and rethread everything to fit my standard bolts.
0zlH6Gc.jpg

1YNLC7W.jpg

ZEvxZ7P.jpg

Then it was time for a test build.
WFS9E8r.jpg

Unfortunately, I didn't have a seatpost to fit the frame, so I cut my old Z bars to make one.
jFk2DCo.jpg

emaqg1E.jpg

Then I borrowed the saddle from another bike to do a test ride.
SZ1WDiJ.jpg

n3D4OW1.jpg

and that's the latest pic... For now at least. This build is going to take some time, as I want to do things right, but at the same time, being my first lowrider build, I'm testing different parts and different configurations to find the ones I like most.
For now, there are two main things that I don't like: the seat is too high, I think I'm gonna cut up the old collar and just weld the seatpost in the frame. The other thing is, the bike seems too high. The february break is over, so the bike will take some time as I don't plan on working on it during the week after school, but I'll keep this thread updated. If you have any suggestions, feel free to tell me, I'd like to hear your opinions on the bike so far.

You have a good start.
Personally, with all the work to get the seat post out; I think I would have just removed the whole seat tube.
I've seen alot of lowriders without a seat tube, it makes a nice effect.

Have you looked at lowrider bike videos on YouTube? There's alot of inspiration to be had.

Dig the stance on this bad boy, can't wait to see more.

If you want to lower the front you can take the spring out of the springer fork, but it will affect the steering angles and you may need shorter cranks...

I tried it... Drops too much, and the bb being BSA I can't find decent short cranks. I'm thinking about shortening the spring tho.

I tried it... Drops too much, and the bb being BSA I can't find decent short cranks. I'm thinking about shortening the spring tho.
Square taper 3 piece cranks? You can sometimes get short arms on some kids bikes. :thumbsup:

Wow, man i totally feel your pain, i am also working on one European cruiser bike now, trying to give it more American looks :)
With the springer, you can drop it lower by just bending the rods even more, then you save your spring and can get the angle you like.
By the looks, i would say this bike is asking to put the BB to the belly, it would probably give it more streamlined and low look, as well as more comfortable seating position.
Welding the seatpost sounds like an idea, then you can also move your banana a bit back.
Good job, man! Good luck with it!

A quick update! I rode the bike to shcool today, It rides pretty decent.

Now for the goods!

Details on the cut that I made to fit the giant mudguards, hoping to fit 2.35" tyres under there!
GKuxbPs.jpg

I will make a rubber outline so I don't cut myself on it, and it'll also make the cuts look nicer.

Then I did some light photoshop to get some ideas:

The stock bike:
Kg2NwFy.jpg

Slammed saddle:
BKJ0CiW.jpg

My ideas ( tank, filling rear triangle, paintjob etc):
N90bhIL.jpg

Thank you all for your replies, and again any suggestion is welcome!

# Quick edit, I just realised this paint scheme looks way too much communist lol

Last edited:
I like the lowered seat, looks good.

Slightly extending the front of the frame always looks good too...

You may find the frame tubes are the same size as bmx fork tubes which gives you a nice curve to extend the down tube:

Kelvinator.jpg

I like the lowered seat, looks good.

Slightly extending the front of the frame always looks good too...

You may find the frame tubes are the same size as bmx fork tubes which gives you a nice curve to extend the down tube:

View attachment 46700

Wow that extended frame looks good! Unfortunately, my frame is already abit too big and extending it could be useless. I'll check when the bike is stripped.

Today I re tried without the spring in the springer, and this time I rode around a bit without it. The bike doesn't ride that different, since the sissy bar makes my bum stright over the rear axle. However it's too low. I scrape everywhere and turning is almost impossible. Well actually if I were to use a coaster it wouldn't be that bad, but the current fixed configuration makes it really hard to ride.

Here's apic without the spring. I gotta say It looks really good like that.

But I have an idea to drop the bike and still ride it with a front suspension! I can't say too much for now, but it will involve pressurized air...

Well guys I landed on some rough times. I might not work on the bike for awhile, but I'll try to keep this thread updated.

My last purchase was a headset, since the old one was jut scrap I had aroud.
qRNot04.jpg

I received some parts for the airride, I'll upload pics when it's complete since I'm not sure if it's even gonna work.

Liking this build so far, keep up the good work.

TIME TO UPDATE!

I fanally got to put the airride system together and it works .... well. I unfortunately cannot install it on the bike because the thread on the cylinder is wack (something like 1/6) So i'll need to get a tap this week.

sE5tc83.jpg

Next order of business is to get the coaster brake hub off my 1968 'Tobec Kustom and replace it with a NEXUS 3 hub, that way I can get the coaster brake on the lowrider. Problem is, I don't have the hardware for the nexus but I can get it wednesday.

IrNQ60h.jpg

Latest posts

Back