1981 huffy 26 inch super thunder bmx

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Very cool bike .I have never seen one before.Nice original condition I was told that it had been in storage for many years.
It has araya rims and dia comp brakes.It will need a little clean up but should come out nice.

Very cool! I just got rid of a 24 inch version not too long ago. I didn't know they had a 26 inch version.

That is Bad right there! :D

WOW, I never even knew this bike existed!! I have some real nice 26" bmx cruisers, the newer ones, ie,... SE OM Flyers, WTP Champ cost a fortune, You got yourself one serious score right there, holy crap. :shock:

That is cool! I have heard of 24" but never a 26 either from Huffy. The deal with the 26" BMX bikes was: They really only existed for ALL the brands in 1981. Huffy, King Sting, GT, Mongoose and Champion (might be forgetting a couple). I have not seen many from 1980 but form my understanding is GT made the first one that were truly single speed BMX dropouts and race geometry. By 1982 24" was the "race" standard for BMX. The King Sting was made in a single speed with BMX dropouts, and 5 and 10 speed with reverse drop outs with brazed cable guides. So that bike really doesn't fall into the race BMX frames for 81. I would bet this Huffy is a 81 and never seen one. I have had Pro Thunder's, Pro Lightings and the Super Thunder is a really cool bike! Not high end, not really high dollar but rare as can be.
The reason for the Arayas from all my findings from the 20" line is: the Red bikes and blue bikes differed a little in components but no big names parts - steel painted wheels and basic - the black bikes were the higher end components. Dia-Compe brakes, Aluminum bars, Araya Wheels and name brand tires. Keep Hold on to it, you are not going to find another one!

Others would know better than me, but I think the fist 26" BMX cruisers built by BMX racing companies appeared in late 1978 and early 1979 (SE Racing OM Flyer, Powerlite three bars, Gary Littlejohn, Champion, Laguna, Cook Bros., Bassett, S & S, etc.)

I suppose it could be argued that the OM Flyer was the first 26" with race specific geometry - the others mentioned resemble more traditional pre-war style balloon tire bike frames (think beach cruisers) even though many were made from 4130 chromoly with BMX track style dropouts

1979 OM Flyer

dsc02186_copy0_lg.jpg

Here's Scot Breithaupt (the OM) on the modified 26" Emory beach cruiser he first raced open class in September 1978, which basically got the cruiser class started...

OM_Emory_cruiser_78.jpg

YES - you are correct... there were earlier ones out there. I stand corrected but you don't see them mainstream until 1980-1981 then they disappeared.

Latest posts

Back