1974 Yamaha Moto-bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Found this on the local CL and was going to flip it to be honest, but my son liked it so i decided to keep it for him to jump ramps with, (his favorite thing to do on bikes). took it apart and found a broken and previously repaired bottom lug, other than that it looks ok. Crank bearings pins and all that 3 piece garbage was shot, luckily there is a bike shop in town that carries stuff for vintage bikes so this baby will have new bearings, cups, pins etc.. was just lucky everything came apart without stripping the treads!

Shes not going to be restored to perfection but just a nice rider, i reapplied the rubber to the rear fender, chrome on the bars are shot so it will be painted black, forks came apart nice the fork oil was black so all of that will be cleaned and refilled, front rim is original and cleaned up nice, the fork threads are also damaged and will need attention this bike was rode hard jumped etc.. found an old site that said Yamaha had a demonstration " BMX rodeo" back in the day and after the riders were done there was a pile of 30 or 40 moto-bikes with broken frames and forks LOL!
/moto0061280x960_zps4cd877c6.jpg.html]
moto0061280x960_zps4cd877c6.jpg
[/url]

Bike is missing the original seat, chain guard,one pedal, and grips. ANYONE HAVE THEM.. LOL. This is a original toro orange bike also! parts clean up is going good. bike should be done in a few short weeks.

i just cleaned up the braze best i could, the rims are in fairly good shape they are the original staggered size 20x 2.125 rear and 20x 1.75 front. Reapplied the rubber to the rear fender.

Serviced the rear coaster brake, stripped the bike of the old paint and was lucky to find a perfect match for the toro orange. I really wanted to save the original front Yamaha decal and the patent pending decal since the repop decal kits you can buy for these are not the same, probably for the 75 or 76 motos and not the early 74 as this one is. paint came out nice,and was a perfect match to the few areas that were not faded!! Was able to paint around the original decals also! http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m611/a71demon/moto0021024x768_zpsa2afacf1.jpg

noodlenoggin said:
This is really cool, I like it. I have an old Yamaha Motobike...mine looks like this:

Xs650f02 by sunliner500, on Flickr

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Is that an XS400? My first bike was a 1978 Yamaha XS400... Spent more time in the shop than on the road (Not sure if that was normal or if mine was just abused.)

whopperchopper said:

After my Mongoose Beast gets scratched up and old I might paint it this color and order some "General Lee" decals. Were do you get this paint?

Its just a Rustolium orange from lowes, ill have to get the # later. I couldn't justify getting it professionally painted or powder coated with the bottom bracket damage and also my kid may ride it along with his friends so scrapes and scratches are a sure thing. I could always redo it later... here is the forks that i cleaned of the black 40yo oil, i soaked the fork seals in P/S fluid with stop leak for a couple weeks. The seals did get more pliable and seemed to swell just a hair, i hope they seal I'm going to use the same P/S fluid for the fork oil. I'm just waiting for tires now and not sure what to do for a seat, i would like something close to original but haven't found anything yet, it was a black vinyl saddle with chrome springs that had MOTO-BIKE printed on the back.

outskirtscustoms said:
Is that an XS400? My first bike was a 1978 Yamaha XS400... Spent more time in the shop than on the road (Not sure if that was normal or if mine was just abused.)

'79 XS650. I've put about 20,000 miles on it since 1993...great bike. Different motor from the 400, though.

Sorry for the hijack...

Thanks for the info, it looks nice! I'm not worried about it being rattlecan, I use rattlecans on 90% of my builds...it's cheaper and I don't feel bad when I scratch it and it WILL be ridden like they drove the General Lee. :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back