1973 varsity schwinn tires

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found a schwinn varsity 10 speed and was told by a bike store in my town they dont makes tires for it any more but i find that very hard to belive . He said they were 27x1 1.25 s6 . Any info on tires that will work would be very helpful. Im res

They are out there, but don't use decimal sizing to find them. This is one instance that 1-1/4 does not equal 1.25". Schwinn is rather famous for this, but they aren't the only ones to muddy up the waters.

Bike Tires Direct (they have 7 or 9 possibilities listed)

Screenshot_20200916-165442.png

The ISO size is 630... your bike shop dude might have better luck searching for them that way.

Search for Sheldon Brown tire sizing for a full write up on the tire sizing Insanity.

I assume the tires are missing so you can't read the sidewall, but I believe those are 630 ISO and there's plenty of them still being made. You won't have the selection of more common and modern sizes, but you'll have a decent number of choices available. Unfortunately, a lot of bike shops hate anything that's older than the youngest kid working there and the youngest kid working there thinks the world sprung into existence when they exited the womb. Plus, they also want to sell you new stuff. I'm lucky in that I have a couple shops that aren't too far away that aren't like that (I had one repair a fork for a 1912 Iver Johnson for me), but that's about two out of quite a lot.

I assume the tires are missing so you can't read the sidewall, but I believe those are 630 ISO and there's plenty of them still being made. You won't have the selection of more common and modern sizes, but you'll have a decent number of choices available. Unfortunately, a lot of bike shops hate anything that's older than the youngest kid working there and the youngest kid working there thinks the world sprung into existence when they exited the womb. Plus, they also want to sell you new stuff. I'm lucky in that I have a couple shops that aren't too far away that aren't like that (I had one repair a fork for a 1912 Iver Johnson for me), but that's about two out of quite a lot.
Thank you very much. I will search the internet for 630

They are out there, but don't use decimal sizing to find them. This is one instance that 1-1/4 does not equal 1.25". Schwinn is rather famous for this, but they aren't the only ones to muddy up the waters.

Bike Tires Direct (they have 7 or 9 possibilities listed)

View attachment 138969
The ISO size is 630... your bike shop dude might have better luck searching for them that way.

Search for Sheldon Brown tire sizing for a full write up on the tire sizing Insanity.
Thank you i will ask him to search that way and ill check out the bike tire direct

Latest posts

Back