1972 dodge d200

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys, so im looking at a 72 dodge pick up today. $500 bucks one owner, 55xxx Original miles. heres the thing though........ its been sitting for 10 years. what things do i need to look for, things i should be concerned about and if i get it things i need to change(oil, filter, tranny fluid spark plugs, radiator fluid ETC i know i need to change those). any advice is helpful! ill post pics ASAP thanks

As long as the motor isn't locked up I'd grab it at that price. Even if it is it could still be fixable. Big thing is of coarse you'll have to change the oil, flush the radiator, and do a basic tune-up. Plugs, wires, air and oil filters, flush the gas tank, change the fuel filter, bleed the brakes, check for any leaks, and while you're under there anyway take a grease gun with you and hit all the grease zerks.

Seeing where you are located, rust shouldn't be an issue. But dry rotting certainly is.
You didn't mention which engine/gearbox combo is installed, but if it's a manual, expect the clutch to be baked solid and in need of replacing.
As with any vehicle parked for that long, the brakes will most certainly need attention. I'd rebuild them no matter what and replace all the flexi pipes, caliper seals, wheel cylinders, master cylinder seals, pads, and shoes.
The tyres are past their sell-by-date in any case, so they must be replaced as well.
Next is all rubber seals and chassis bushes. They may have perished. And you will certainly need new radiator and heater hoses.
Once you have it running, you might be plagued with leaking gaskets and oil seals for a while. Some will seal up, some won't.

Has this truck at least been started up? I have a car that is being disassembled and I've been working on it for about a year now. It is slow progress. Yet The engine is started, brakes pumped, car is backed in/out as needed, etc.

A car that is left to sit and rot will need things replaced, one that is simply started and at least driven a few feet will help things stay together.

Latest posts

Back