1968 Double Diamond.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSG

Reaction score
BAbc5WL.jpg

tKLPVnT.jpg

This 1968 racer was pretty rough from sitting outside as yard art so it was a perfect candidate for a mild custom job. I've built it up in the style of a ship yard bike while making use of as many of the original parts as possible. It started out as this.

dWMleZQ.jpg

After stripping it down I braced the frame with a second top tube.

HMGP7JJ.jpg

The frame tag is based on examples I could find pictures of. Modern shipyard bikes still use something similar. (U.S.N.W.N.Y) stands for United States Navy Washington Navy Yard.

7iNun0R.jpg

I distressed the paint because I wanted the bike to look like a well worn original.

cYKbIQw.jpg

The off-white wheels and blackout sprocket are typical of wartime Schwinn lightweights.

CSOKw0m.jpg

Link to build thread http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/1968-double-diamond.108752/

Last edited:
Great conception and execution on the second straight bar! Cool vibe! :thumbsup:

I like this. Kind of makes me rethink throwing away the racer in my basement

Nice work!
Well done!

You probably already know this, but Don't forget that when the Voting thread is created we will use the first pic from your Finished thread. I'm not suggesting anything is wrong with the current pic, just making sure everyone knows.

Latest posts

Back