1966 Coppertone Junior Stingray

Discussion in 'MUSCLE BIKES' started by nateyboy, Jul 16, 2017.

1. nateyboy

nateyboy

I'm hoping some of you muscle bike experts can shed some light on my latest purchase. Serial number begins with "JB..." which I believe makes it a September of '66. I read a little bit about the Juniors, but have absolutely no idea what is correct/original to this bike. Clearly it's missing the 3-speed rear wheel, and I'm pretty sure the giant sissy bar isn't stock. I'm not sure about the Mesenger seat (but I dig it), or if it should have bow pedals instead of the regular block pedals currently on it. It does also has a full Miller generator headlight and taillight set.

I'm not sure what my plans for it are yet, but I would love to know more about it. Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chad T, JimK, RustyGold and 1 other person like this.
  2. scrumblero

scrumblero

Thats cute!

3. scrumblero

scrumblero

I might have a 28h three speed SA around somewhere.. ;)

nateyboy likes this.
  4. scrumblero

scrumblero

The rim is a S-5 24".. I can pull it down and clean it up if you want to know the year and make sure it works.. KIMG0914.JPG KIMG0911.JPG

5. indianadave

indianadave

I really don't think any juniors were sold as a three speed.

Sent from my LG-K373 using Tapatalk

nateyboy likes this.
  6. indianadave

indianadave

It's definitely a custom job. Cool bike, but if you're average size and wanting to ride it, you may be better off finding a full size Stingray to swap stuff over to. If it's for your kid, then clean and lube it, and slap a wheel on the back and get it ridable. And go cruise.

Sent from my LG-K373 using Tapatalk

nateyboy likes this.
  7. ODDER

ODDER

It's a pile of junk. You can donate it to the ONMMBF though. I think they could use it for something.
    (Odder Needs More Muscle Bikes Foundation) :rofl:
    Seriously brother, good grab. I'll try to find you anything you might need for it.

Jaxon and nateyboy like this.
  8. rrtbike

rrtbike

I have a 20" S7 with a bendex coaster brake if you want to turn it back to a single speed. It has an old 20x1 3/4 knobby tire that holds air.

9. Wheelee

Wheelee

Being September of 1966, it's getting closer to the changes for the 1967 model year, but probably not quite yet. The main change was adding a sissy bar and Jr. banana seat for 1967. The front wheel would have been a 20" S-7 with 20 x 1 3/4 blackwall Westwind tire. The rear should be a 20" S-7 Bendix red band coaster brake with 20 x 1 3/4 blackwall Gripper Slik tire, no Stik Shift (it's valuable though). So, the seat / sissy bar were changed as were the taller handlebars from the shorter Jr. bars. The fenders and stem look original. Here's a picture of what it might have originally looked like: http://www.trfindley.com/flschwinn_1961_1970/1966dlr_Sting_Ray_Jr.html
    My opinion would be to not spend a lot of money trying to make it original as the ending value might not justify it. I'd go back to the coaster brake configuration, clean it up, and enjoy it.
    Bill

Wildcat likes this.
  10. Wildcat

Wildcat Pro Member

The juniors show a lower set of apes, I checked the 67 and 68 models, all have the smaller handlebars. Here's the best pic I found of a 66 model:
    [​IMG]

The catalog shows a mini banana seat (polo), no sissy bar, but all the other pics I've found have a regular seat and sissy bar.
    [​IMG]

The 67 catalog shows a banana seat.[​IMG]

RustyGold likes this.