1964 Moulton Stowaway

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got lucky and found this recently. One owner bike. Amazing ! A few pics of before and after a cleanup. Still some work to do.
39F13929-CE58-44D8-A671-9712861CCA00.jpeg
62C62EC2-20C5-4289-A6D0-74CD2DE3DA25.jpeg
1A5D9D37-A9B4-4CF6-A3C4-460FB3AFC76A.jpeg
411D4A64-3236-4D7E-A98D-8D107F7A4AF7.jpeg
E14AE852-40FA-4015-BC6D-CBE2E9B1B210.jpeg
E7498636-DF60-4059-B4B6-11A424B73BB5.jpeg

These are awesome bikes with a very cool history. I have Huffy version Moulton 4 and a breakaway Stowaway.

I was really into English bikes many years ago and had a Moulton pass through. If I remember correctly, there were issues with the swing arms cracking and the seat tube at the stays cracking. There were two different factories they came out of and one of them had a reputation for shoddy work. I do remember that it is imperative to make certain the swing arm is well lubricated and free moving which greatly helps to keep it from cracking there.

Last edited:
I was really into English bikes many years ago and had a Moulton pass through. If I remember correctly, there were issues with the swing arms cracking and the seat tube at the stays cracking. There were two different factories they came out of and one of them had a reputation for shoddy work. I do remember that it is imperative to make certain the swing arm is well lubricated and free moving which greatly helps to keep it from cracking there.
Yes. I believe that’s true..mine was built in the original factory as far as I know..it wasn’t used much I dont think...I haven’t detected any issues with cracks in any part of the bike. It really is in remarkable condition for being 56 years old.

Yep, I am pretty sure the crack issues were mainly in high mileage, low maintenance bikes. I still have a soft spot for old English bikes, they are a joy to ride, I just lost interest in doing restorations . Now I'm wishing I had kept my Rudge though, that bike was so effortless to ride.

Yep, I am pretty sure the crack issues were mainly in high mileage, low maintenance bikes. I still have a soft spot for old English bikes, they are a joy to ride, I just lost interest in doing restorations . Now I'm wishing I had kept my Rudge though, that bike was so effortless to ride.
Yeah ..I wasn’t looking to do anymore restorations either but they are rare to find where I live and the guy who had it wasn’t into bikes. The bike was in pretty good shape as it was so I figured I should give it some well deserved TLC, and now I’m glad I grabbed it.

Latest posts

Back