BO15 1963 Schwinn Corvette "The Honey Rolla"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That Honey shines nice in the sun!!

Got the hubs today. The one laced in a wheel is an earlier version, so i would use it on some other project. Worst case scenario is if i won't manage to fix the one i have is i just lace the one i have of same generation into the wheel and use this for parts if needed. And the loose hub is actually the same as i have laced in the wheel now. It doesn't move too easily, seems the grease is too thick inside, probably the hub was not serviced in a while. But most importantly it works! So i am going to clean it up and swap the guts. Also analyze it better, to find the reason mine fails to switch.
IMG_5409.JPG

Another thing i have received is plastic rod caps.
IMG_5410.JPG

Far not as fancy as the original rear rack ends, but as well far not as expensive :D This may be something i would work on to finish the rack and make it more complete.
IMG_5411.JPG

Good news! I have received another Duomatic hub from Germany and managed to fix the bike gears. I have taken the hub apart and noticed that the shifting spring i run is actually quite different shape then original. It is reproduction i bought from another guy from Germany few month ago, and i think it should have been good. It is either wrong calculation, or it was destroyed by some other element inside my hub while operating. Maybe the worn plastic ring did it? Anyway, i will take more pictures for you guys to see, but the hub in the Schwinn wheel is now fully functional.

I might not use the plastic caps in the end. Figured something else yesterday evening.
IMG_5426.JPG

Drilled out and threaded the lamp body to m6, then put them on some weired m6 to m8 adapters i bought at local hardware store. Poured some hot glue on the tips of the rack and "screwed" the adapters on. Now they seem to sit there well and solid, hope the road vibrations won't change that.
IMG_5427.JPG

I really love the looks of them. The visor angle plays nicely with the rack stands angle.
By the way, did you notice the difference? I bent the rack rear rails higher, to look a bit closer to what original rack was like. Still they are shorter and more rounded then original, but in my opinion it looks better now. I also have bent the front so it looks way better and more harmonious now, and also sits a bit higher and clears the fender well. However i did not take a picture of it yet, i'd wait for some light so you can see it more clearly.
I was also experimenting with the front lamp, and i just can't find a good place for it. It overweights the bike looks so much. I believe it would look awesome there if there will be no rack but truss rods, however with the rack i think i'd rather use NOS Delta Wren light i have scored few month ago.
index.php

It has the handlebar mounting clamp in set, and looks really good there. I am planning to go buy some inch-standard bolts tomorrow, and then i put it on the bike to see how it looks together.
The other polish lamp and truss-rods instead of a rack are still an option, but honestly the more time i spend bending and fitting the rack, the more i am starting to like it. It is a big difference with how it was sitting in the beginning, and now this whole idea doesn't seem so bad. It almost sits elegantly like it was made for it now, not "amateur" looking like before. Really, those small little lines adjustments make a big difference.

Oh man, Those tail lights are AWESOME!!!!
Much cooler than this on the tips.

23961ed76ad7caa1ac582d8a6066b0e6.gif

Note to self. Scratch the boingy door stop idea for build- off bike.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Boingys are cool, but look at those lights!! :D

Oh man, Those tail lights are AWESOME!!!!
Much cooler than this on the tips.

23961ed76ad7caa1ac582d8a6066b0e6.gif
Well, that was just a starting point. The plan was to shape them a little and put the red plastic jewels on the tips. I have even ordered them and maybe will still do it just for a test. But now i like the tail lights more, and the other good thing about them is they make the bike street legal :)

Ok, so we went out for a first test ride yesterday and today, and took some pictures on a daylight. Lets start with the front rack. That's the way i bent it, and i am now happy with the form.
IMG_5464.JPG

IMG_5465.JPG

You can also see Delta Wren light on a handlebar. Fits the bike really well!
IMG_5473.JPG

IMG_5466.JPG

Here is how it looks as a whole. The line created by two racks is pretty good and harmonious.
IMG_5462.JPG

IMG_5463.JPG

The rear lights look cool too. Though the reflector still has to be adjusted.
IMG_5468.JPG

IMG_5467.JPG

I have ordered a set of white grips and a second chain guard. Let's see if any of them would actually come :D Also bought a cool old school mirror, will show it when it arrives.
The front wheel is a little out of balance, so has to be trued a bit. Maybe i add a drum front brake later. The bike rides smooth and rolls very easy, though some final adjustments still have to be done.

The front rack looks much better leveled out. The lights really flow nicely with the rear rack. White grips are the right choice I think. Looking great.

After waiting for 3 month and claiming the package as lost, here it comes :D
Recieved a bunch of parts from Olevince at the CABE. This beautiful Persons seat from Spaceliner is a good match for the Honey Rolla in my opinion. I prefer the looks and the feeling of the surface on this one over original coppertone Troxel seat.
IMG_5515.jpg

IMG_5516.jpg

I don't think i am going to rebuild it, just clean up a little and put it on. No polishing needed, the small amount of rust is there to match the rest of the bike. I may cover the rust on the bolts underneath though, but i believe this seat would go for many miles more without needing to be restored. I'd need to swap the clamp for 7/8" one, but that's not a problem, i'm even happy to have a spare 5/8" clamp since they are impossible to get here in Europe :)
Now i only need to get the chain guard and the build is complete!

Hello again everyone!
I have moved to a new place, and because of some financial difficulties i have stopped renting a flat. Now i am living a dream, renting an almost 250sqm large basement. Enough space to store all my bikes and to setup a frame building facility, and as a bonus i can sleep there! :D
Next time you see something called "loft style artisanal furniture" online, you know how it really looks like!
IMG_5624.JPG

Anyways, i don't have any good internet here yet, so i am going to be very slow on uploading updates and even slower on checking other people builds now :) Last weekend my girlfriend rode her Schwinn for 100km and it was great test for it. We went to Cruising Torun, the biggest custom bicycle event in Poland, and that's how the bike looked like there:
IMG_5618.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back