1961 Rollfast Flying Tiger Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Thanks for letting me crash the party with a bike I started back in early September.

The plan from the start was a 26” “muscle bike-ish” cruiser.

I’ve been wanting a 26” banana seat bike for sometime, scored a cool tank bike cheap and am now getting around to the build.

The bike has a huge tank that I thought lends itself nicely to the P-40 Warhawk jaws and eyes.

The pictures summarize where I’m at!

Any questions or comments, let em fly!!!
3218ACF5-8BA5-4FA5-B165-EDCC00BD67B8.jpeg

5AD85F9A-B40A-45C8-AA13-0A08FC6F11B0.jpeg
C5D43773-54BD-4563-8B93-1497CA197671.jpeg
9E016AFF-B1EC-4705-B9A7-A390297403C4.jpeg

C2FA5EA9-4508-4907-AC45-49C073238DFA.jpeg
E91B88BF-4732-4C30-98F4-22C264F09D13.jpeg

The bike was super rough.

I was either going to have a ton of time or money into repairing or replacing a number of key components.

I scored a super clean vintage Huffy women’s bike off Craigslist for $20.

I already tore the bike to pieces and salvaged everything but the frame.

The Huffy had a great wheelset on it with Bendix coaster brake. I’m also going to scab the crank. Also the headset cups and BB cups if they fit.

I wanted some cool colored tires, but the front fork was super narrow. I could not find much of a selection of “big and little” tires in colors.

I just ordered plain black tires and painted the wheels. Rear tire is 26” x 2.125”. Front is 26” x 1.75”
C54BF944-9A5F-41DE-9168-D0882D9C195C.jpeg

Last edited:
So many shark teeth variations! You have make an attempt at your own rather than a decal. It doesn't have to be perfect. I actually prefer the amateur pieces a lot.

Eyes on a ship or plane are done to ward off evil...that tradition goes way back to Greek triremes. Pin up nose art is like an evolution of the figurehead on the bow. Aye superstition yarrrr!

So many shark teeth variations! You have make an attempt at your own rather than a decal. It doesn't have to be perfect. I actually prefer the amateur pieces a lot.
Agreed.... I hear you.

sometimes I get caught up doing stuff and don’t let up.

I didn’t want to sink 5-10 hours into making the decals..... $15 and I’m done and can move onto the rest of the build.

I’ve got plenty of time into painting the wheels and adding the green to the frame, forks and rear wheel mounts.

My head badge also got sand blasted and I’m going to have some time into custom painting that thing.....

Without a doubt, handmade eyes and teeth would add a ton of character, but I just didn’t want to spend the time on it.

Last edited:
Decals came out good.

The vinyl was super thin..... and super sticky!!!!

Fortunately I had worked with large vinyl decals before and knew how to use the windex and squeegee to easily position and flatten out.
View attachment 142375

Those are ridiculously awesome!!

Good stuff Jude! Came out fantastic! Fit's perfectly. I take back what I said. Felt pretty proud to ride around on the bike I made the shark tooth tank bike I showed you. I didn't just copy, I studied the art form and felt a connection with the pilots.

Latest posts

Back