1959 Schwinn Wasp rat

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Hard to believe it's been almost 5 years since I found this bike. http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/found-2-middleweight-schwinns.88639/
IMG_1005.JPG

Serial decodes as Dec 1958 mfg. I believe it is a 1959 Wasp.
catalog pic.jpg

From the catalog:
"Ideal heavy duty bike - for newspaper route work, messenger or delivery service or for boys who give their bikes unusually hard use. May be ordered with truss rods, heavy-gauge spokes, heavy duty knock-out hubs and the other special equipment.

Features: Schwinn Cantilever frame, forged fork, Schwinn tubulat chrome rims, balloon tires, Radiant colors. Coasters brake only.

• B12-1 26 inch Coaster (Mark IV) 53
  • Colors: radiant red, Blue, green and black."
A previous owner swapped in the springer fork?
4 years ago, I cleaned and greased the wheels and installing fresh Kenda wide whites, I went and put them on an old Murray rat bike and the frame just sat at the back of the shed.

Last edited:
BTW I used this bike as the basis of my avatar.
Put the ratty painted wheels/red tires that I had tried on the Frankenshelby build and a used rear fender from a swap.
IMG_0986.JPG
IMG_0987.JPG
IMG_0989.JPG
IMG_0999.JPG
IMG_1002.JPG
Interesting master link, maybe from a motorcycle?
IMG_1001.JPG
Bars and seat were also from the stash and may get swapped out. Have matching blue scalloped front fender but will have to add relief for the springer. :grin:
IMG_1012small.jpg
Digging the patriotic color scheme of all this. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
If this chain guard was blue instead of dark green under the black spray bomb I would of tried to save the orig paint.
IMG_0144.JPG

Instead I did some pin stripes. Amazing just how solid this bike is and love the cushy ride with the springer.
IMG_0147.JPG

Last edited:
First experience riding a Schwinn springer equipped bike any distance...
Schwinn springer patent1.jpg

https://patents.google.com/patent/US2160034#similarDocuments

1. Comfort. Cushy ride (along with 30 psi balloon tires).
2. Action. With my weight over 200 lbs I thought I may bottom out the spring in regular cruising, but the thing just kept absorbing bumps. Again I'm sure helped by the big soft tires.
3. Pedal bob. Hills are a workout on this bike! It's no lightweight, and a single speed coaster and low pressure tires pretty much assure that. Every power stroke lifts the front end and the spring merrily bounces. After a while glancing at the fork spring almost becomes hypnotic!
4. Sharp turns. Weirdness is detected when making a sharp turn. When turning it feels unstable, I didn't observe the spring in action when doing U - turns but feels like the you are making slight changes in direction without turning the bars.
5. All things considered I like it. :thumbsup:

What maintenance is required? I'm thinking the pivot bolt gets a lot of movement and it moves well is not sloppy and is quiet. Maybe lube with oil when oiling the chain?

Last edited:
My friend has an old 1950s Schwinn springer fork bike and I love to ride it. You really feel like you’re floating down the road! I’ve learned not to trust the coaster brake too much on these old bikes. A heavy bike plus a heavy guy like me means stopping distance isn’t that good, and panic stops can just lock you up in a skid. A front hub brake would be awesome.

Got to tear into the BB and the Komet coaster to clean and re lube.
I had to adjust the cones in the front wheel and found them dry.

So that's about where the build stopped. Wheels cleaned and greased over Winter then it just sat... Till yesterday.

DSCF7578.JPG

I fitted the Shimano 3 speed coaster equipped wheel from the Hampton cruiser. Robbed parts off a stermy equipped Schwinn middleweight frame and got the shifter going.

DSCF7553.JPG
DSCF7554.JPG
DSCF7577.JPG

Got to get rid of this mess, makes chainguard rattle weird.

DSCF7584.JPG

Street tires will replace knobbys.

DSCF7587.JPG

Latest posts

Back