1958 Raleigh Sports

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20170430_160032.jpg

20170430_160047.jpg

So beautiful! Looks so new :)
I had a sports for a while, I think it was a '72, but I just couldn't get comfortable on it even on the larger frame as the tt was too short for me. But now I have a DL-1 coming my way that should fit my freaky body better than a sports.
I'm curious about the grey grips...I had a look around for white grips but re-pops don't seem to be made anymore. I can get black, brown or grey. Were grey grips a thing back in the day?

The grey barrel pattern is correct for late 1950s. The originals on this bike were grey barrels, and I replaced them with the grey "R" grips from eBay that you link to. The quality is dodgy. I ordered two pairs and took the best two.

The originals were thicker and better rubber. They had more cushion as well. But that grey "R" is the closest reproduction of the grey barrel made today that I could find. There are much better reproduction grips available today if you are willing to get away from the grey barrel type, but I wanted to go with an original look. After these wear out, I'm replacing with something higher quality. The reproductions are not terrible, but really are pretty cheaply made.

Latest posts

Back