1957 Schwinn Value?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a bike advertised locally that looks interesting but I am clueless as far as the value is concerned. I've been thinking I'd like to have an old Scwinn to work on instead of my Worksman and this bike would be a cool start.

Description:
This is a 1957 Schwinn Jaguar Mark II in excellent condition and all original. This bicycle has the original tires which will need to be replaced. The paint and everything else is in excellent condition. $225

4EUfzL8R7d21eNV0HDooAoxUnzF2.jpg

I'm thinking this thing looks pretty rough and $225 is a bit steep. I also think his description is a bit optimistic. I'm wondering if I should concentrate on getting a frame only if I plan to make a hot rod out of it.

If I'm thinking correctly, the Jaguar was Schwinn's top of the middle weight bike back then and highly desirable amongst collectors today. I had my eye on one very similar to that one only in a lot rougher condition and not as old and I was about to pay $125 for it. Someone beat me to the punch!

I asked the same question to the folks on the Schwinn forum about it and they said I was getting a deal at $125....even it was in rough shape. That bike actually looks like its in pretty nice shape. Once you detail it you might be surpised.

From the looks of it and the age, I'm guessing it is probably worth they are asking...if not quite a bit more. These Schwinn middle weights are bringing in some serious cash these days on Ebay..

Would be a very sweet bike to have.

This one on Ebay is already up to $100 and doesn't look near as nice as the one above.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Schwinn-Mar ... dZViewItem

Give him $175 cash and detail the bike. Keep it as original as possible and enjoy riding it. If you want to Rat out a bike, start with a decent frame and build from there. That one looks pretty nice and a 3 speed to boot!

Gotta agree w/ yeshoney... if it's all there, it's all there. [urgh but the thought of leaving something stock, leaves a bad taste] FOR ME, 1/2 the fun is the hunt for parts and building on an idea. you'll have allotta fun riding around on it, looking for parts. :idea:

yeshoney said:
Give him $175 cash and detail the bike. Keep it as original as possible and enjoy riding it. If you want to Rat out a bike, start with a decent frame and build from there. That one looks pretty nice and a 3 speed to boot!

In view of what Rat Rod and Multipass mentioned, I going to have to agree with you and pass on this one. I should probably just get a frame and start from there. I really dig the 3 speed and Jaguar chain guard though!

I'd really like to end up with a bike like Multipass's ride. I dig the short duck tail fenders and the gloss black frame.

Multipass, did you cut the fenders yourself, or did you buy 'em? They look awesome.

The fender set came from http://www.chainganglowrider.com. Bought a couple sets last year, but I'm not sure who the manufacturer is though. One cool thing about these particular fenders - the rear has no pre drilled holes, so you can mount them onto pretty much anything.

-Mp

Latest posts

Back