1957 Evans??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this on my local Craigslist. The seller claims that it's a1957 Evans 3 speed..
My only question for all the experts here (because I am far from one), does this look like a 57?
The seller is only asking $25, and it's a complete 3 speed with fenders, so I'm gonna snatch it up no matter what year it is.
So, what do you guys think, 57?
496f8116a9d7dcd131120d94125db8b1.jpg

6d118a077a5f00ddd253e7f81c63125d.jpg

It could be, the fork crown looks like a 50's style. I don't see a shifter, but if it's a 3 speed Sturmey Archer, a 2 digit month/year date code will be on the hub shell near the brand name. ex: 11 59 would be a Nov 1959 hub.

Looks like a good buy even if it's a 60's bike.

It could be, the fork crown looks like a 50's style. I don't see a shifter, but if it's a 3 speed Sturmey Archer, a 2 digit month/year date code will be on the hub shell near the brand name. ex: 11 59 would be a Nov 1959 hub.

Looks like a good buy even if it's a 60's bike.
The seller said
"1957 St. Clair model currently setup with 1st gear only,very good tires w/flat proof tubes,exc. foul weather commuter-grocery getter."

I assume first gear only explains the missing shifter, but it's $25..
heck, I'd take a 77 that was as complete as this for 25 bones

Those old English made lightweights were made to last. People used them, and still do, for their only transportation for years and years.

My buddy went and picked it up for me tonight. He's bringing it over Tuesday. I'm so excited,I love old ....! Especially 60 year old .....! Did I mention that I'm excited?
2364e2d7b68ac448ace99412641aab43.jpg

I'd like to see it shined up and on the road. I'm looking for an English bike here in Oahu, even a bare frame, but so far, nothing. An Evans would be great, my first bike was a 24" Evans Scout.
I noticed a couple more things on yours. Yours has alloy brakes and brake handles, maybe they were changed out at some point. The chain guard is the wrong color so it's not original either, maybe. But the paint on the frame/forks looks like it'll clean up nice as well as the decals on the frame. Go easy on the decals though.
The hub nuts look Sturmey Archer, so the hub will be very close to the date the bike was made. Here's an example of a hub showing the date stamp:
asc300-400.jpeg

I'd like to see it shined up and on the road. I'm looking for an English bike here in Oahu, even a bare frame, but so far, nothing. An Evans would be great, my first bike was a 24" Evans Scout.
I noticed a couple more things on yours. Yours has alloy brakes and brake handles, maybe they were changed out at some point. The chain guard is the wrong color so it's not original either, maybe. But the paint on the frame/forks looks like it'll clean up nice as well as the decals on the frame. Go easy on the decals though.
The hub nuts look Sturmey Archer, so the hub will be very close to the date the bike was made. Here's an example of a hub showing the date stamp:
asc300-400.jpeg
Good points. I can't wait to actually have it in my possession to see what I actually bought..

Latest posts

Back