1951 Schwinn... Springer Fork Question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GTV

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I just picked up this '51. Well, most of it. The original springer fork is long gone. Will a repop chrome fork fit and work correctly? If so, does anyone have a fork that they would sell, or recommend a seller for one? Much appreciated :)
IMG_3701.JPG

That's really unusual. fork gone but tank is there, while the norm is missing tank. . An $200-300 tank at that.

All of the Schwinn balloon 26" repop spring forks will fit that, even the ones that Pacific cycle are making for Schwinn's new classics in china today. Most of the alternative china spring forks will fit to, but check before ordering, post and pipe sizes in all to be sure. In original forks, be carful as some girl forks will not fit a boy bike unless the girl's pipe is cut shorter and rethreaded.

specific for that bike, I am pretty sure, the paint decoration is not going to be the typical you'll see on phantoms, with triangle that's outlined with another color but more simple. Either just white triangle or possibly b/c there's very few existing a white V. . That is, if you're looking for originality.

And that's all "If it came with springer. Yet because it's missing, most likely why is, because it did.

There's no 51 catalog but in 52 it's a Hornet in 1950 it's a B19. Yet, BFG bikes (I think your chain guard has a BFG decal?) didn't always duplicate Schwinn's line, exactly. regardless, with a springer it would have been of BFG's and or Schwinn's uncatalogued, deluxe or specials, Hornet or D19.

1952_schwinn_hornet.jpg

Schwinn D-19
Fully equipped standard boys bicycle. Price with right with top quality Schwinn construction. Carriers all the popular equipment including tank, horn, Rocket Ray light, luggage carrier, and others. (Note "others" All Schwinn bikes, or stores carried every imaginable upgrade to entice buyers. )
1950_schwinn_d_19.jpg

Last edited:
I appreciate the reply! The guy I bought it from admitted to selling the springer fork off of it years ago, and he severely regretted that decision.
In my previous years I would have taken the time to search out and pay the bucks for an original paint fork but these days I have too many bikes and not enough time, so this one just needs to ride again and will be sold off to someone who will enjoy it.
A few other things, it is Schwinn badged, not BFG. The decal on the chain guard is an old thing from Farmers Insurance.
It has a Morrow hub, which I would really prefer to keep!
Thanks again!

Last edited:
All of the Schwinn balloon 26" repop spring forks will fit that, even the ones that Pacific cycle are making for Schwinn's new classics in china today. Most of the alternative china spring forks will fit to, but check before ordering, post and pipe sizes in all to be sure. In original forks, be carful as some girl forks will not fit a boy bike unless the girl's pipe is cut shorter and rethreaded.

Can a steerer tube even be shortened like that without throwing off the springer's geometry?

Can a steerer tube even be shortened like that without throwing off the springer's geometry?

Humm, yeah, that's a good question,. er, point. A girl springer with longer neck than an boy's would have to have a longer fork set and truss bars too.

I appreciate the reply!
In my previous years I would have taken the time to search out and pay the bucks for an original paint fork but these days I have too many bikes and not enough time, so this one just needs to ride again and will be sold off to someone who will enjoy it.
!

That being the case, toss a springer and go then, I think you're tossing good money away. Just in parts, b/c Schwinn flat bar tanks are so spencive, prob $400-500 + (in parts) but if you stick an original fork, maybe $500-700? yet with cheap fork, more like 'rider's choice', the down side comes to play; $300. Or buy the tank get rest free? Unless your intention is simply; 'make it ride-able for enjoyment', $200 bucks? [grin]

Albeit, To many bikes, I get that, flip and go or it'll draw spider webs waiting for the 'correct' fork to knock on your door.

Thanks for the comments all. I'm sure I could make more money by parting it out but I don't have the heart to do that to a neat old ride like this. I also really like the process of refurb-ing an old bike, I find it very therapeutic. A chrome repop fork will look out of place to people like us, but for the kind of guy I see buying it, it won't be a big deal.
Thanks again, I'll keep this thread updated on progress.

I just happen to have one the same color .

Rafael

Can someone post a link to a quality fork? I'm finding a lot of horror stories about cheap repop springers from about 10 years ago, I don't want to go down that road.

The bike(s) came with a lot of extra parts. In that lot is a standard fork and a set of truss rods. I'm considering that option as well...

So, here's a stroke of luck for ya. I just ran across this at the bay. Not found online, a 1951 Schwinn catalog from a hardware store, no less. The whole 6 page catalog calls em all 'Ace'. So, that's prob the hardware store's or moreover, what Schwinn said their wholesale line was called that year. Some luck, while you may care less, nobody has this. [wink]
Here's your bike:
s-l1600.jpg

Thanks for sharing, I love stuff like that.

I haven't decided which route to take on this. So in the meantime I decided instead of tearing this bike into pieces I would put one of the bikes I bought in pieces back together today. 1958 Spitfire. Nearly there. It will make for a good rider.
IMG_3706.JPG

IMG_3708.JPG

The '58 is all finished up. I'll swap the apes out for standard bars and the new owner is coming to pick it up Saturday morning.
IMG_3725.JPG

So I guess that means it's back to the 51 then. I offered up the standard fork I had and found out the steer tube is far too short. So that means I am forkless and really not sure which direction to go. If I can find a quality (key word) reproduction springer fork I'd go that way. An original springer would be ideal, but I'd expect that to be expensive (although I haven't really searched). Even a standard fork would be fine by me, as long as it fits like it should without any fuss.
Does anyone have words of wisdom or extra forks lying around? :) Thanks for looking!

Nearly! Tore completely down and built back up. Just waiting on some rear hub washers to arrive, they should land Monday.
IMG_3822.JPG

The standard fork did end up working, but I do feel like it is a hair too short, I'd like to see a few more threads in the top nut. It makes me wonder if my bearing retainer is too thick? Do earlier bikes like this have thinner retainers than the 60's stuff?

Latest posts

Back