1951 Schwinn DX-L (Class 2)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Frustrating Sunday of work.

I tore down the DX completely to prep it for the frame mods coming up. Afterward, I masked stripes on the polished 57mm hoops and shot them with self-etching primer. When that had dried, I shot two coats of color. When I went to remove the tape, a bunch of the surrounding paint started coming with it. I was able to remove all of the paint using only my thumb/finger nails in about twenty minutes. Etching primer didn't etch, I guess.
Screw it - I'm just going to run full-polished wheels, I guess. I don't want to go through this again, and masking them took an hour. If I had to rough them up, pull the tape and re-mask before paint... just not worth the time and labor.
Cool bike! i use adhesion promoter on bare/polished/chrome before clear or paint, work perfect , its basically a clear glue . you can buff over the tape with a scotch bright to help it a bit . me too i found that self-etching primer dosent work so well on metals , worked on plastic and pvc only for me
41IhNleSvzL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

Nice truck! *IF* one could even be found here in the midwest the body would be missing from the door handle down because of rust.
TJ, whereabouts in the Midwest do you hail from?
I'm in the 'Rust Belt'....Minnesota / Wisconsin.

30 posts in and still no pics of the bike...
Come on man show us the bike.
Some in progress stuff, a nice mockup, something...
(I like your truck too :thumbsup:)
Carl.

30 posts in and still no pics of the bike...
Come on man show us the bike.
Some in progress stuff, a nice mockup, something...
(I like your truck too :thumbsup:)
Carl.
Truthfully, I've done nothing but gather some parts. Haven't even laced the wheels up yet. I am somewhat ashamed.

I did work on another bike project over the weekend, though.

Latest posts

Back