1950 Schwinn, odd color "distressed"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I saw that bike on the Cabe it was love at first sight!! I might have to ride up to Mayberry and *ahem "borrow" it when you're done. :wink:

Rockit! said:
When I saw that bike on the Cabe it was love at first sight!! I might have to ride up to Mayberry and *ahem "borrow" it when you're done. :wink:
October 28th, Sonic 11-5 You can at least ride it around the block

Okay, so wet coffee grounds took the decal up. I'm going to apply another decal. Then I'm going to blot terra cotta krylon onto the decal and let it dry. Then use rubbing compound to even it out and let the decal show through. The hornet decal is gone completely. The schwinn decal in the circle at the bottom of the guard lost a small piece, but that will just have to be part of the patina. Hopefully this terra cotta works and I can clear over everything before I lose anymore of the decal.

Gdcast said:
ozzmonaut said:
Gdcast said:
How about laying them under the sun for three or four days? :roll:
I'm not sure. Some of these bikes spent years in sun and bad weather and still don't look too bad.

That´s woeful isn't it? :D
Heartbreaking :lol:

Maybe if I had a steam room or sauna. Otherwise I don't think I can. Too much moisture removes the decals as shown by the coffee experiment. So far here's where I am. This decal will come right off with rubbing compound if I need to do it over. Hopefully not
SANY0795.jpg

Here's the frame painted in the lighter green (no idea what the color is called, it isn't on the can). Waiting for it to dry and it will get a light coat of the pistachio krylon, then "patina'd"
SANY0796.jpg

I used a repro badge because I couldn't bear to mess up the original burgundy badge. But now the chrome on this thing is too shiny. Will salt water dull this chrome without messing up the paint?
SANY0799.jpg

ozzmonaut said:
I used a repro badge because I couldn't bear to mess up the original burgundy badge. But now the chrome on this thing is too shiny. Will salt water dull this chrome without messing up the paint?
SANY0799.jpg
haven't tried salt water before but it might work. try to look for something aluminum and try it before trying it with that nice badge. :D

Latest posts

Back