1950 Schwinn, odd color "distressed"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turtlesixfour said:
How did you shine the badge. Did you use a Dremel tool?
It was already shiny on the border and letters. I just fine-sanded the paint off of those areas after painting the badge. I have the original burgundy badge but I might need it for another ratty build like this one. I might use a q-tip and zinc or aluminum paint to get the shiny stuff dulled down just a bit.

This is brass, but I used a kit from Lowes to add the green color to this badge. It basically wipes on and you wipe it off until it looks like something you can live with. I've done a lot of chemical aging on brass and copper but not chrome. A google search of patina methods may help you on this.

Great build, Rg

DSC00365.jpg

raggedjim said:
This is brass, but I used a kit from Lowes to add the green color to this badge. It basically wipes on and you wipe it off until it looks like something you can live with. I've done a lot of chemical aging on brass and copper but not chrome. A google search of patina methods may help you on this.

Great build, Rg

DSC00365.jpg
I'd be happy going through the chrome to expose the steel underneath. At least then it might start to show some age. I have applied my tank decals and will be aging them shortly. This thing should start coming together soon. I still have to apply the black to the front of the frame and the black feathers just behind that. Wish me luck!

do you have a heat gun? if not go grab a cheapie at horror frieght tools and hit the decal with that for a while. it will dry/crack/shrink/yellow the water slide.
id practice on something that is painted with a fresh decal(not the guard though until you figure out how close and long to heat it since it can destroy paint really fast!)to get it just right. hope that helps!
ohh looks great so far :mrgreen:

I just remembered that one of the headbadge screws broke off and I have to drill out the hole. I hate doing this. It's annoying how the bit never wants to stay in place. Last time I taped an old headbadge in place to contain the bit.

Road Master said:
Wal Mart isn't always the best at keeping things stocked but I have seen Krylon Clear is Gloss, Satin and Flat. Have Fun! Robert
I haven't found flat there, but I'll look again. I hope they do have it.

ozzmonaut said:
Would a hair drier do it if held up close?
it may itd just take alot longer since most heat guns are 750-100 deg. and i doubt a hair dyres goes anywhere near that(well at least after the first lawsuit :lol: )
id get a waterslide from a model and try it on some scrap first, but my moneys on it will...it should just be slower.

It's been awhile as I'm getting things lined up for the local show. I've had to be in contact with several people and work on permission for the location, a band, advertising, door prizes, etc. But I'm back on the clock. I've painted and somewhat patina'd the frame. Still have to paint the feathers on but I painted the brass badge now instead of using the way too bright chrome one. The wheels I'm using are already patina'd from age, so I'm trying to match the frame and parts to the wheels. Once I get it all mocked up and can add "age" to things as neccessary.
SANY0806.jpg
SANY0807.jpg
SANY0808.jpg

Great Job man,waiting for the bike to come together. 8)

Great Job man,waiting for the bike to come together. 8)

Thanks . The decal on the guard was better quality so it was easier to age with just sandpaper and rubbing compound. The ones on the tank have white behind the gold so they don't look right. I'll work on them though and try to find a fix.

I've been revisiting this bike. Thing is, I liked the bike that I'm copying, at least in pictures. But in person, I'm not digging this as much as I thought. I think I'm going to change things up in a big way. Should I continue here or start a new build thread? Either way, it's about to become more of a rat.

Latest posts

Back