1949 Hiawatha custom cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
1949 Hiawatha frame. Sears springer. Handmade leather tooled seat (the very first seat I ever tooled). Old tractor head light converted to LED.
Hiawatha_17.jpg

Hiawatha_4.jpg

Hiawatha_11.jpg

DSC01997.jpg

DSC01996.jpg

very nice choice of colors, nice toolin on the seat ,looks like you've been doin it for years !,, is that a regular chain your running with the teeth cut out of your sprokets ?

Looks great, and nice job on the seat. I have a couple questions. I wanted to try to do some leather tooling myself. Did you buy a tooling kit? if so which one? if not what tools did you buy. And what leather did you use?

Thanks

A.S.BOLTNUT said:
very nice choice of colors, nice toolin on the seat ,looks like you've been doin it for years !,, is that a regular chain your running with the teeth cut out of your sprokets ?

It's a half link chain (regular) and ground off every other tooth. And thanks for the leather compliment. Believe it or not that is the very first seat I tooled.

skillsthebarber said:
Looks great, and nice job on the seat. I have a couple questions. I wanted to try to do some leather tooling myself. Did you buy a tooling kit? if so which one? if not what tools did you buy. And what leather did you use?

Thanks

Thanks for the compliment. I consider myself a newbie so I will answer the best I can. I acquired an old timers kit then added to it. Getting a basic kit will definitely get you going. If you can find a Tandy Leather store in your area they can usually get you in the right direction. As far as leather I bought a mid grade hide to start from my local tandy store). If there is a tannery near you get it there. I used a chunk of the good stuff (fresh from a tannery and higher quality) and boy does it make the tooling process easier and looks much better. If I would have known I would have spent the other 120 bucks or so and gotten the good stuff. The hide I bought was around 180 bucks (almost a 4' X 8' piece) but I still have most of it left . I bought some thick stuff which is a lot harder to work with as far as wrapping seats and forming but has a much deeper cut and gives it a lot of depth in the tooling. Hope that helps.

it does help, thanks. The leather that paul cox uses on motorcycle seats seemed too thick for bicycle use, so I wasnt sure if you could tool on thinner less stiff leather. I just looked up Tandy Leather store and there is one not too far from my house. Thanks for the info

skillsthebarber said:
it does help, thanks. The leather that paul cox uses on motorcycle seats seemed too thick for bicycle use, so I wasnt sure if you could tool on thinner less stiff leather. I just looked up Tandy Leather store and there is one not too far from my house. Thanks for the info
Yeah I got the thicker stuff. It is hard to form it for the bike seats but there are tricks like skiving and a lot of patience. You can get different thicknesses. Just keep in mind the thinner you go the less depth in the tooling. Hit up that tandy. I learned a lot just talking to the guys at the store. Good luck!

I keep lookin at those bars ,who makes em and where can i get some ?

A.S.BOLTNUT said:
I keep lookin at those bars ,who makes em and where can i get some ?
They are bars off a Mongoose hybrid kind of thing flipped upside-right (26" 10 speed mountain bike looking thing). You don't see many of them around.

wonderful clean build and that seat is amazing. i want the seat very nice job

Very nice.
So, you have your own photo studio???

Latest posts

Back