1945 Elgin

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
6/14/14

Today I have go in to work.
Got outside to tinker/ vacillate beforehand......

I wanted to address the crank arm hitting the frame on the non-drive side. But before I just went hog wild grinding away , I put the chain on and tightened everything up to make sure it wasn't a misalignment issue. I think I can take a smidge off the inside race on the drive side without having to touch the patina on the exterior. I'll deal with that on a day I have more time to do it right :cool:
( most of all I was happy to see it was not a misalignment due to me chopping this old girl up :agree: )

I had to play around with the bars a bit too...
I wasn't 100% sold on the horn :39: ...... so I mixed and matched a few combinations of bars / accessories to see what looked best. ....Pretty sure I have it dialed in the way I like it. I also cleaned up the head badge of the blue house paint .... carefully with my thumb nail

Then I tried the headlight on the 1st set of bars......

Maybe it's the horns fault in the 1st place :rolleyes:

That's the ticket :113:

.... With and without the chainguard....

Whelp.... off to work now....

Stay tuned...

Looks good! Any plans for paint or to rust up the bare metal?
I know you said you'll never paint a bike, but I'm curious as to what your gonna do! :)

I think I like no chain guard better.:39:

I would love to see how it would look with the rockers flipped on the fork. Seems like it would look good with the added stretch and rake.:)

I certainly have thought about flippin the rockers too. Haven't tried it yet though :crazy:

Looks good! Any plans for paint or to rust up the bare metal?
I know you said you'll never paint a bike, but I'm curious as to what your gonna do! :)

I haven't decided yet my friend :crazy:

I vote for the guard and this bike is smoking. What's ya color!?!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

6/16/14

Got some time before work today to play. I've been thinking about flipping the springer for a while now.....
Ironically The Renaissance Man mentioned it so I figured I'd see what it looked like afterall :).....
I don't like the way it makes the Beehive unaturally stretched at an odd angle( which will only intensify when I'm actually riding it ) . Plus it wont allow for the front fender( which has grown on me ) . I flipped it back to it's normal position. I think it looks much better. Had to try it though :thumbsup:

OK, so the problem I wanted to tackle today was the crank arm rubbing on the frame. This is the threaded race on the sprocket side. Figured if I ground a little off of this beveled edge , rather than the peaked crank I'd be golden .

I had to come up with a way to hold it without grinding my fingers off.... After rummaging through my junk drawer .... Came up with this.....

Precision " Make-doery " :cool:.....

1st round... test fit.....

Close... 2nd round..... Nailed it! :crazy:

Threw on some pedals to make sure they didn't thread through and hit.... Perfection!

It always feels good to make a little bit of progress.... before work :(

Stay Tuned

6/18/14

The other day my @slowriderz seat post came in the mail:113:. I haven't really had a chance to try it on for size ... So today before work I got out in the garage to play......

Fit like a champ!
The seat was still a bit too high for my liking ( no fault of the seat post at all )

The Columbia Seat clamps are spot welded in place. Perfect! ... I don't have a vice, so I'll use the bike as one :agree:

...planned my attack with a marker

Rough cut the clamp and then squared up the frame cut...

Smoothed and contoured the clamp...

Much better! :)

Off to work now.....

Stay Tuned

Great project. It's like watching a good movie where you can't wait to see how it ends. Thanks for all the in-depth fabrication photos. Excellent ideas for jigging a frame. Designing on the fly is a true skill...the project IS the drawing board.

Now that is detail. A lot of work for an inch or so on the seat placement. I am dealing with the same now, so I get it. The ride is coming along for sure!

6/23/14

Got a few hours of play time in the garage today :)

The next project I needed to tackle was the lack of a kickstand.

Grabbed a donor girls bike from my basement and had at it.....

Took apart the bottom end. Hadn't been apart in a while.... Apparently some critters had made a nest....

Clamped in place on the Elgin to make sure everything would swing properly

It did!
"Jig" and weld er up! :crazy:

Reassemble and test..... Mint! :D

" Look Ma...no more jackstands " :thumbsup:

Stay Tuned :39:

Looks like all it needed was some of that magic dirt dobber grease!

Looks like all it needed was some of that magic dirt dobber grease!

:39: At first I had no idea what that meant .. Then I googled it. You are correct Kingfish!
That is exactly what was inside ( never heard of it referred as that )
It was full of partially digested spiders, flies , and whatnots... Plus decomposed acorns and such. The crank wouldn't turn cause the chain was somewhat stiff in conjunction with the jam packed massacre sight

Latest posts

Back