1939 Girls Elgin UPDATED ITS DONE Bicycle Restoration..

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Well this isnt super rare & its a girls bike.. But its nice & crispy out of a lengthly storage `from the origial owners family. I added the tail light lens to the rack . `Other than that its how I got the bike . Im wondering if this bike had truss rods or just never came with them ?? Ive seen a lot with out them & some with them .. Ive also seen two types of truss rods on this style bike .. I have a set of what I believe are correct truss rods of one of the types used on these bikes .I normally dont restore girls bikes unless its somthing special .But I have a nice parts stash for this one so the timing seems right to restore this one. :mrgreen:
DSC05961.jpg

DSC05963.jpg

EWW... :(
DSC05959.jpg

Yeah this will take some doing .. :?
DSC05956.jpg

The other bike is a mid 1930 rare Moto Balloon bike .This bike was stored for many many years also before seeing daylight again .

Ive going to try to get both of these done .. :mrgreen:

DSC04580.jpg

DSC04577.jpg

DSC04584.jpg

Re: 1939 Girls Elgin & 1930s mens Elgin Bicycle Restoration..

NIce pair.... hopefully you will be able to figure out a new fork.

Thank you... I got very lucky another rat rod member had a fork & sold it to me .. :D I just didnt take a photo of the new fork yet..I also removed the fork you see in the photo & checked the frame again Im lucky the frame is great so Im good to go ... :mrgreen:
cman said:
NIce pair.... hopefully you will be able to figure out a new fork.

That's a nice looking pair!

A lot of very cool parts on these two - they are definitely worth your time to fix up. Is that a grease fitting I see on the head tube of the boys bike? These oldies had all kinds of neat stuff going on. Have Fun! Robert

Thank you .. Yes that is grease fittings on the head tube & the crank area also . I wish more bikes had these ,, :D
Road Master said:
A lot of very cool parts on these two - they are definitely worth your time to fix up. Is that a grease fitting I see on the head tube of the boys bike? These oldies had all kinds of neat stuff going on. Have Fun! Robert

I Bought what I think is the same bike today. Do you have any parts? I would like to find a Tail light or some taillight that will work. Another Skirt Guard too. How do you know it is 1939? Is it by Serial number? Where is Serial number located. Thanks for any info on this bike
Thanks

I have no extra parts at the moment ..but that could change. :D The serial number is under the crank on the frame .There are sites with serial number data bases.If you need just a tail light lenz thats easyer than the whole light .. I hope this helps.. :D
honestherman said:
I Bought what I think is the same bike today. Do you have any parts? I would like to find a Tail light or some taillight that will work. Another Skirt Guard too. How do you know it is 1939? Is it by Serial number? Where is Serial number located. Thanks for any info on this bike
Thanks

Heres some picks of the bikes apart ... The girls bike has been cleaned & touched up a little ... :D The rack is the same color as the rest of the parts .I didnt use the flash in my camera ..

DSC06258.jpg

DSC06257.jpg

DSC06261.jpg

DSC06262.jpg

DSC06606.jpg

The front wheel ..
DSC06263.jpg

A new Crank its almost the same ... :D
DSC06265.jpg

Its all done ... It has a few add on parts a little touch up paint & a little elbow grease.. :mrgreen:
But it rides so well.
In Progress
DSC07049.jpg

DSC07068.jpg

I think Im Done with a few small details to change or do :?:
DSC07062.jpg

Happy Halloween !! This makes me want to change my Calendar entry ..

DSC07069.jpg

Looks really nice!
I don't think Elgin made any bikes that weren't
beautiful, and the girls bikes have a bit of a
scooter vibe to them that make them appealing
in their own right.

Thank you ! I was trying to hold out for a boys bike to use my parts on but I found this one & decided to build it up. :D
Im glad I did this bike rides great ..
spectratone said:
Looks really nice!
I don't think Elgin made any bikes that weren't
beautiful, and the girls bikes have a bit of a
scooter vibe to them that make them appealing
in their own right.

[quote="tanksalot, post: 616298, member: 11524"
DSC05961.jpg

DSC05956.jpg

[/quote]
Anyone have measurement on the integrated kickstand that is mounted to this bike? I will be making my own until I can find one at a reasonable price.
I need the Width and then the overall length from end to end.
Thanks.

Latest posts

Back